Jezebel

Re: Muster Miniatures?

Post by World2dave »

Or Paula Abdul.
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Jeremy »

Does the Lodge have a Halaal catering option?
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

grizzlymc wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:13 am Well, I think the reconquest of India might pose a few challenges. Hongkong is right off the cards, even though the first landings might receive a rapturous welcome.
Daft thing is that Britain was never under any legal obligation to hand back Hong Kong 'proper'. The island was ceded in perpetuity to Britain in 1842. The popular idea of the 99 year lease actually referred to islands and territory surrounding Hong Kong which was ceded on the lease in 1898. It could be argued that it was 'lazy' diplomacy that has led to the problems now as it was deemed easier to return everything as a block rather than retain the main island.
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

FreddBloggs wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:55 am However this does mean Paul will be changing his name to Abdul Abulbul Amir!
How do you know that's not always been my real name ? :evilgrin:
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

As a friend of Ivan Stravinsky Stravar, I would have known!
grizzlymc
Grizzly Madam

Post by grizzlymc »

The problem was water. Handing back the New Territories would have seen Hongkong running lout of water.

When Nixon wanted to get the Chinese containing the Sov Union, the Brits should have used their veto power in the Security Council to keep Taiwan holding the Chinese seat until the Chinese accepted a perpetual lease on the New Territories.

Of course, No British government has seriously opposed disengagement overseas and, sadly, I see the logic of this. Which is why I cannot understand the idea of putting a naval task force in SE asia.

The future of the UK is trade with the world, and let Europe know they will be welcome when they grow up. Which leaves me wondering why the UK has not concluded a free trade agreement with Aus.
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

Other way around, europe is the grown up, it is britain that is throwing tantrums.
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

grizzlymc wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:28 pm The future of the UK is trade with the world, and let Europe know they will be welcome when they grow up. Which leaves me wondering why the UK has not concluded a free trade agreement with Aus.
Because whilst we are still in the EU we are not permitted to discuss trade deals independently.

I don't like to discuss current politics on here but I would say that neither side in the EU 'deal' debate has come out of it looking anything other than delusional, petulant and petty.
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Jeremy »

To think the discussion was going to be anything else, given all the personal agendas, is incredibly naive
grizzlymc
Grizzly Madam

Post by grizzlymc »

Paul wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:22 pm
grizzlymc wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:28 pm The future of the UK is trade with the world, and let Europe know they will be welcome when they grow up. Which leaves me wondering why the UK has not concluded a free trade agreement with Aus.
Because whilst we are still in the EU we are not permitted to discuss trade deals independently.
I've seen that argument it's false. You can't consummate a trade deal, but you can discuss what you like. I think Aus would have been happy to cut a deal which took effect on 1/4/19.