What's on your workbench?

For your Wargames Wittering
RMD
Jezebel

Re: What's on your workbench?

Post by RMD »

Well kinda. They were UK-built 20pdr-armed Mk 3 & Mk 5 Centurions underneath all the additions, but they replaced the engines, suspension and steering system locally during the 1970s and renamed it Olifant. They modified them again during the 1980s, adding locally-built 105mm guns and designating it as Olifant Mk 1A. The Olifant Mk 1A saw action against Angolan & Cuban forces in 1987, being joined by more Mk 1A and some older Mk 1 for further operations in 1988.

Up until this point, the Olifant was still very recognisable as a Cent, but the Olifant Mk 1B upgrade added a stack of additional armour and other upgrades, making it look not unlike a Leopard 2, but these never saw action. About half of the Mk 1Bs were later upgraded to Olifant Mk 2 standard, which is almost a completely different tank, but at it's core it's still a Cent.
tim.w
Jezebel

Post by tim.w »

Jeremy wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:53 pm My understanding was the Olifant was based on the Centurion, and not actually a Centurion? They were produced locally by Armscor from memory. Or have I got that wrong?
No you're right, I think. I'll consult my books when I get home but pretty sure it was an Armscor product. From the photos I remember there might ge some slight differences?
RMD
Jezebel

Post by RMD »

tim.w wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:24 pm
Jeremy wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:53 pm My understanding was the Olifant was based on the Centurion, and not actually a Centurion? They were produced locally by Armscor from memory. Or have I got that wrong?
No you're right, I think. I'll consult my books when I get home but pretty sure it was an Armscor product. From the photos I remember there might ge some slight differences?
See above. The Olifant Mk 1s were re-worked Centurion Mk 3s & Mk 5s and still looked very much the same externally. The Olifant Mk 1A again looked the same as virtually any 105mm-armed Cent. The Olifant Mk 1B however, was virtually an entirely different tank and the Mk 2 even more so. However, at their core they're still UK-built Centurions.
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

The Oliphant 1A was developed and produced by the 'Oliphant Manufacturing Company', a private company formed specifically for the development of the tank.
Purple
Grizzly Madam

Post by Purple »

Starting to look cute now.
Attachments
D8914A9C-9111-4B87-9551-CB8C4E7E8402.jpeg
D8914A9C-9111-4B87-9551-CB8C4E7E8402.jpeg (208.34 KiB) Viewed 3453 times
goat major
Grizzly Madam

Post by goat major »

Fantastic !
Goaty bloggy thing http://goatmajor.org.uk
Goaty twitty thing http://www.twitter.com/GoatMajor
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Jeremy »

Brilliant!
Count Belisarius
Grizzly Madam

Post by Count Belisarius »

Outstanding!!!

Can you do it in 6mm as well, please?
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Jeremy »

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/coldw ... nt_MkI.php

Some good history of the vehicle here
tim.w
Jezebel

Post by tim.w »

I did think the photos in my book looked different to a Centurion but I understood it was an SA built tank along the same principals. That explains it. I'd guess SA had to home build a fair bit to get around sanctions and produce something decent. Armscor has made many weird and wonderful machines that you don't see anywhere else.

Got to have a good look at my Footsore Vikings that I didn't buy but invested in, very very nice they are too! Just started slapping a wet brush over the Saxons this evening.