No votes
Washers (Wilco type)
44%

Total votes: 16

BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Re: Single figure basing.

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

1p and 2p coins in the UK were 97% copper until 1992, when they became copper-plated steel - and hence magnetic; as a rough guide, coins with the portcullis or Prince of Wales' feathers will pre-date 1992, those with the abstract designs will be post-1992 (although you can get very shiny examples of the two former that are also magnetic). For those of us for whom a trip to the nearest Wilko would represent the sort of trek that would have a wagon-load of Boers feeling travel sick, this makes them cheaper than metal washers, but just as effective.

For my Sharp Practice forces, rank-and-file go on 1p coins, leaders and skirmishers on 2p coins, all mounted figures on pill bases, and special figures (eg medics, clerics) on lipped bases. All figures then go onto sabots (in 8s for rank-and-file, 6s for skirmishers, singles with labels for leaders).
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
Purple
Grizzly Madam

Post by Purple »

Surely those plastic bases warp?
Even The little ones I got from warlord I just used as make shift counters and they are all bent - you couldn’t even describe them as reassuringly floppy.

I don’t think I could put a £2.50 miniature on a plastic base, it would feel so wrong. I actually put mine on 1ps as I like smaller bases, though I do regret it now and will be putting the VBCW stuff on 2ps.
RMD
Jezebel

Post by RMD »

2ps all the way for me. I stick a disc of magnetic vinyl under each one.

They've made 2ps out of plated steel for the last ten years or more, so will stick to a magnet, should you need them to.
Ilkley Old School
PurpleBot

Post by Ilkley Old School »

For my classic Napoleonics I use mdf bases 12.5mm by 15 for skirmishers/artillery and 15 by 30 for cavalry. So none of the options in the list.

Of course if I had to base these figures on coins I would have to use old ha'pennys or even thrupp'ny bits.

Although asking a women if she has any spare thrupp'ny bits could get you into trouble
levied troop
Grizzly Madam

Post by levied troop »

She’ll probably give you a sixpunny one!

Once you’re on washers/coins, MDF sabot bases from Warbases or similar can give you a collective base to make it easier to move large bodies of troops as well as break them down for skirmish games. Wish I’d realised this when I started out, it would have saved a lot of rebasing but probably not be as much fun!
I get lockdown, but I get up again.
goat major
Grizzly Madam

Post by goat major »

20mm MDF squares
Goaty bloggy thing http://goatmajor.org.uk
Goaty twitty thing http://www.twitter.com/GoatMajor
Tim Hall
Gaynor

Post by Tim Hall »

I have followed the EB Way of The Base, and I have dodecahedral bases crafted by Tibetan Monks from the finest powdered yak horn, and milled and cleaned with Virgin's milk, and then a fine quartz coating to provide stability and karma.
Rules? You ask me what rules do I use. No, I don't do rules.
valleyboy
Jezebel

Post by valleyboy »

warbases 20mm round ones and occasionally old 2 p coins and some ww1 figures on washers
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Jeremy »

Tim Hall wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:46 pm I have followed the EB Way of The Base, and I have dodecahedral bases crafted by Tibetan Monks from the finest powdered yak horn, and milled and cleaned with Virgin's milk, and then a fine quartz coating to provide stability and karma.
The way of the Guru Burt is sacred and holy. Long may his basing provide a light against the darkness
Buff Orpington
Grizzly Madam

Post by Buff Orpington »

I'll happily use a 1p coin if the figure fits, otherwise it's a Wilco washer.
I know when to go out
I know when to stay in
Get things done