Ayton 2018 18th Century Campaign & Games

For Loose Games & Shows.
Purple
Grizzly Madam

Re: Ayton 2018 18th Century Campaign & Games

Post by Purple »

Well, I’m feckin knackered now.
Cheers for a great weekend all! Wonderful wargamers break as usual. You were all your usual Great company and brilliant to wage war with.
Now the usual come down of not having a 35 foot table with 6000 figures on to look at (unless your Gary) :cry:

And what sums up MAyton Wargame weekend better than a bit of an outrageous opportunistic attack from the rear?

Cheers guys
Attachments
Loose Ass Gamers
Loose Ass Gamers
562EFA6F-B0E6-4EE2-832C-BCD39CE8E0E4.jpeg (181.66 KiB) Viewed 4250 times
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Is that Captain James T Kirk boldly going where no man has gone before?
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Jeremy »

What an absolutely cracking weekend! Day one arrived with a hangover and not much sleep thanks to Peeler dragging us from pub to pub. I found myself facing off against Purps. Vicious little bugger our Purps, as turn 1 saw a wave of Hussars crest the hill to smash into my lines. Quite rude really. We soon saw them off though. From there it got a lot more difficult, and I failed to kick his foot out from behind the stone walls, and I had to content myself with bouncing cannon balls off his elephants head, and finally routed it with the same light troops who routed his Hussars. In spectacular fashion, it stampeded straight through his own lights, destroying them and spent the rest of the day giving us both the sh!ts as it stampeded randomly around the table like a wrecking ball.

Day 2 arrived with a similar hangover and little sleep. I was allotted the task of forcing my way over the walls into Fizzipop, which was defended by GM. On the right flank, 10 regiments battered themselves to a bloody pulp in wave after wave of unsuccessful attacks. On the left flank, I had a bit more success and the 20th and my Hanoverians steamrolled up over two sets of barricades destroying the artillery and creating a breach. The 20th then pushed forward and destroyed the foot behind, leaving a breach wide enough for my Scots to make merry. The Hanoverians, in typical fashion, decided they weren’t that keen to take on the fuzzy wuzzies behind and we commenced a stare off with them. And that was as far as I got.

But what a weekend! Two full days of gaming, three full nights of too much food and alcohol have left me feeling much older than I should. But by god was it fantastic!

Thanks to Mark for organizing an absolutely amazing weekend, and to the rest of you for being who you are and doing what you do!

Roll on Ayton 19!
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Jeremy »

Oh... and the Gateway had a spectacular game against The Swans yesterday, but I will leave that up to EB and CB to tell
MarshalNey
Gaynor

Post by MarshalNey »

I had a great time as usual, wonderful gaming with some very nice people(thanks to Mark for organizing it!). Great to see some old faces and some new ones.

Arrived back about 12:15.(a bit dehydrated)
Peeler
Grizzly Madam

Post by Peeler »

Thank you all, another cracking weekend of good gaming in good company, well done to Henry for the 18thC game & to TimW for stepping up when TimH sadly became indisposed, as well as the AlexBob FPW game which looked good. Good fodder & beer was had, and some swine has shrunk my trousers. A bit of town was had by me & Norman on the Sunday.. town is an odd place & reminded me why I live in Ayton.. which isn't exactly normal.
Anyway.. Thanks all, look forward to the next do. 😁
Peeler
Grizzly Madam

Post by Peeler »

Oh, I forgot.. Our two Ayton virgins, Jeremy & Jamie, acquitted themselves well during the gaming & survived the drinking too. Paul had a birthday which was nice as well. As far as I remember, the weekend was harpie, troll & bouncing breast free. ☹️
MarshalNey
Gaynor

Post by MarshalNey »

As far as I remember, the weekend was harpie, troll & bouncing breast free.
No witnesses to testify on the 3:37am events which could have included all three.
battleeditor
First Base

Post by battleeditor »

Back home just now after an epic drive following a bout of food poisoning last night. 🤢

Thanks to everyone for putting up with my umpiring during the campaign and games – yet again, miraculously it all worked in the end. Special thanks to Dave and Simon for being such sports on the Saturday and commanding hordes of natives instead of their own still-distant troops. Mind you, it seems to have satisfied their blood lust as they hacked their way through the Grenouissian Alliance column!

The other Saturday game was a cracker too, with Purps already showing worrying signs of having rolled all the 1s out of his dice, leading to a sterling defence of the Currybad Pass by him and Andy.

Sunday’s game was simply awe-inspiring. That our little campaign led to such a staggeringly beautiful-looking encounter, spread across several scale miles of frontage, will remain a thing of wonder for the rest of my days. I was adjudicating stuff, tweeting, Facebooking and uploading videos all day, but mostly just drinking in the spectacular sights.

Simply bloody marvellous.

I’ll be putting a bazillion pics on Flickr or somesuch as soon as I’ve recovered.
Count Belisarius
Grizzly Madam

Post by Count Belisarius »

It was indeed an excellent weekend. Though I personally think I deserve a medal facing off against EB AND Peeler in the big game. I was exhausted at the end...

Great company as ever (Inc. the virgins) and I am so glad I didn't join Peeler and Norm in the taxi!

Thanks to all concerned but especially Peeler and Henry. I shall blog the details of my battles in due course but I'll struggle to match the Goat's excellent pictures of the games.

I'm already booked in for next year.

A