Renewal: a Napoleonic project

For your Wargames Wittering
ochoin
Gaynor

Renewal: a Napoleonic project

Post by ochoin »

Let’s be frank – I had & still have a ridiculous number of figures.
Even after the Great Sell-off, I still cover 10 periods (Bronze Age, Punics, Late Antiquity, medieval, ECW, SYW, Napoleonics, Sudan & Zulu War, WW2) with 28 armies.
In excess of 6000 painted figures, I estimate.

I also think that planning, organising, buying war games’ figures is a very enjoyable pastime. Thus, during the Sell-off, I have also made some purchases & many plans.
With regard to my once & still biggest period – Napoleonics – I am engaged in my last cull: Prussians.
I have decided to keep more than I’d originally intended. I will retain 4 cavalry regiments, 7 infantry (4 x Line, , a Reserve & a Landwehr battalion & a battalion of Jager), 4 foot guns & 3 horse guns + requisite command.
This is almost exactly 1/3 of the currently existing Prussian army (I sold a fair bit a few months ago). I hope to sell this unwanted portion off in whole or in parts soon.

The remnant army is, really, too small by itself to represent one side in a garage battle. However, it provides possibilities.
I have a 5 infantry battalion, 1 cavalry regiment Brunswick force. Add these to the Prussians & you have a smallish but viable army to oppose one of my French Corps.
You could add one or more brigades of my British army to raise this to a force that could fight both my French line corps &/or my French Imperial Guard.

Keep in mind my British, by themselves, are a viable, French corps-sized army & you could go the other way & add the Brunswickers &/or the Prussians for a larger game.
I still own a smallish Confederation army & a large Russian (21 infantry battalion etc) army. There are plenty of games in the offing.

Thus, though I have disposed of many of my Napoleonic figures, I now have viable armies of, arguably a higher standard of figure which can provide many & varied battles in the future.
Once I paint a small number of mainly metal figures, I’ll be done. I would hope to use my Napoleonic armies for many ferocious yet very enjoyable Napoleonic battles in the years to come.

donald
valleyboy
Jezebel

Re: Renewal: a Napoleonic project

Post by valleyboy »

I reckon you always need reasonable numbers of Wrussians, Pwurrians and Hosttrians that you can the field together in an Allied contingent for battles of 1813 against mahoosive French armies. so don't sell too many
ochoin
Gaynor

Post by ochoin »

valleyboy wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:33 pm so don't sell too many
Too late.

donald
Spanner
PurpleBot

Post by Spanner »

Don't forget the possibilities of a "Tilsit War", Donald, as a what if. 1816 Prusso-German and Russians versus Anglo-German, French and Austrians.
If "The System" is the answer, who asked such a bloody stupid question?