Getting ready for battle

For your Wargames Wittering
ochoin
Gaynor

Getting ready for battle

Post by ochoin »

Our second game of the ECW rules, 'Victory Without Quarter' is scheduled for tomorrow morning.
I've spent the late afternoon & evening setting up for battle.

The game will be the fictional battle of Applethorpe where an (implausible) force led by Montrose will meet the English Royalists.

Our ECW armies are all based for 'Field of Glory' - not a problem for the new rule set. However, I have never liked the organisation of the Pike & Shot regiments. This is 2 bases of 4 musketeers on either side of a base of 4 pike & a base of 4 command. - 20 figures in total. The problem is the pike look too few. With the new rules, there would be no problem in adding an extra base of pikemen to each regiment.

However, this means my 16 regiments of Covenanters & Royalists would need a total of 64 more pikemen to do this. And I'd have to persuade two of my pals who own the Montrose army & an English parliamentarian army to do the same.

A lot of effort for 'the look of the thing'......

Anyway, game photos tomorrow night.

donald
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Re: Getting ready for battle

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Speaking of FoG:R, I noticed the village on the right rear of the table - how do the "new" rules handle fighting in built-up areas? I always felt it was one area that FoG:R never quite got right.

BTW, I think that
4xM 4xP 4xM
4xM 4xC 4xM
is actually 24 figures - I always split the command between the two "pike" bases and keep the one with the flags if they lose one of them.
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
ochoin
Gaynor

Post by ochoin »

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:24 pm Speaking of FoG:R, I noticed the village on the right rear of the table - how do the "new" rules handle fighting in built-up areas? I always felt it was one area that FoG:R never quite got right.

BTW, I think that
4xM 4xP 4xM
4xM 4xC 4xM
is actually 24 figures - I always split the command between the two "pike" bases and keep the one with the flags if they lose one of them.
Re; fighting in BUAs - not sure. Haven't done it yet but the mechanism is as simple as the rest of the rules. The rules do lend themselves to some tweaking. I've already added artillery pieces to P&S regiments (extra D6 - hit on 5,6).
However, I am now cautious about adding too many modifications to rule sets.

Re: P&S numbers. 20 figures. I got it wrong.
3xM 4XP 3XM
3XM 4XC 3XM

I'll need to think about adding the extra pikemen. It does look good when I move a extra base to a unit.

donald
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Ah, yes. I'd forgotten that it's 3 musketeers per stand for some strange reason. I always use 4 for 2:1 shot/pike units as I think it looks better.
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
Penda
Gaynor

Post by Penda »

I made a two sided A4 QRS for VWQ which included a few house rules. I might have a copy somewhere if you are interested. Sadly the laptop it was on is long gone.
There is no point in being stupid if you don't show it!

www.talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk
www.talesfromrhanzlistan.blogspot.co.uk
ochoin
Gaynor

Post by ochoin »

Penda wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 6:50 pm I made a two sided A4 QRS for VWQ which included a few house rules. I might have a copy somewhere if you are interested. Sadly the laptop it was on is long gone.
Always interested but getting it might be problematic?

donald