What are people buying?

For your Wargames Wittering
grizzlymc
Grizzly Madam

Re: What are people buying?

Post by grizzlymc »

It has been a few years since I read Hopkins, I thought it was earlier, but the book went into a box this weekend.

The big question is where would they land. Assuming a Jap victory at the Coral sea and a US no show at midway, it all becomes a question of Japanese logistics. Too far south and they fail, too far north and they have too far to advance.

Or, do they grab Isa and dig in?
Spanner
PurpleBot

Post by Spanner »

It's a long time since I really looked at the RAAC histories, as well. It may have been earlier, but the Poms didn't release them until late '42, when Shermans started turning up at 8th Army.

Where would Tojo have landed? Fk knows. Darwin is too remote, Perth too far south (though Coolgardie and Kalgoorlie would beckon) and the reef restricts manoeuvre room for supply shipping north of Brizzie. While the gold mines around Rocky had been played out, there were still the gemstones inland, plenty of local food and it's halfway down the QLD coast. But QLD is also where most of the US and AIF troops are, so why try to invade there?

I'd set the extremely what if scenario at Shoalwater Bay. It has perfect landing beaches, the terrain varies a bit, maps are easy to find and the airstrips at Rockhampton and Strawberry Creek would be useful to both sides.
If "The System" is the answer, who asked such a bloody stupid question?
grizzlymc
Grizzly Madam

Post by grizzlymc »

Great subject for a Command Decision or Spearhead series of games exploring options and degree of Jap army involvement.
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

The trouble is, Australia was excellently placed for the allies, but no strategic value of itself to Japan.

So an invasion is more base denial then resource gain, the Cairns, Townesville and Brisbane are the big targets, having RAN facilities to deny and take over. But the sheer distances between them are frightening for an invader.
grizzlymc
Grizzly Madam

Post by grizzlymc »

And prevent mutual support. Hence my suggestion of Townsville, and Spanner's of Rocky. Get ashore, achieve lodgement, a port and an airfield, allow the stuff North to wither on the vine, occupy Isa (Copper, lead and zinc) and then your war becomes one dimensional.
grizzlymc
Grizzly Madam

Post by grizzlymc »

Of course, the Japs have to sink Lexington and Yorktown in May, then get ashore before October.
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

If they win Coral Sea and take Port Moresby, Australia as a target in early 43 becomes very possible.
DougM
PurpleBot

Post by DougM »

I'd happily play any campaign that involved Rocky being turned to rubble...
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

I was wondering if there was any truth to Japan invading Queensland and them being told, you can have it.
grizzlymc
Grizzly Madam

Post by grizzlymc »

They couldn't figure out how Queenslanders spell beer, also they thought it a bit infra dig to have a colony called far Q.