Miscellaneous reams of paper

For your Wargames Wittering
ochoin
Gaynor

Miscellaneous reams of paper

Post by ochoin »

I've had this problem with several rule sets & now with Hail Caesar.
You can usually condense a rule set down to 2-3 double-sided QRS sheets - cumbersome but saves thumbing through a multi-page rule book.
However, when you add sheets of specific unit stats, you move into becoming a sort of military accountant, holding reams of paper that are constantly shuffled to find the necessary page.

Point in question is HC. You can compress the unit statistics on a single page but it's too tiny to be really accessible. So for a single army, I've put the stats on 4 single-sided pages for each army. It would be nice to have your opponents unit stats in your pile but that becomes ridiculous - another 4 pages? Ideally, you'd spread all these documents out - where? I've tried plastic folders with clear envelopes to put pages in & clipboards. These contain but don't make for easy access. I've dreamt of putting the information on an Ipad- not everyone has one & they're a bit cumbersome too.

Insoluble problem?

donald
Etranger
Jezebel

Re: Miscellaneous reams of paper

Post by Etranger »

It won't necessarily help the paperwork but a spreadsheet keeps the data neat and tidy - then it can be displayed on a laptop & shared easily enough. It will take time to populate the various cells though.
World2dave
Jezebel

Post by World2dave »

What size font are you using??

For me, if you can't get everything you need for quick access on 2 sides of A4 back to back, then the rules are over-complicated.
grizzlymc
Grizzly Madam

Post by grizzlymc »

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
ochoin
Gaynor

Post by ochoin »

I've decided the answer lies with a Head's Up Display. All the data can be projected via a transparent, scanning laser.
I guess I'd blink to change pages.

...anyone got one of these devices? :-P

donald
grizzlymc
Grizzly Madam

Post by grizzlymc »

NASA, Norad?

How about an AI? You try to do something and if it's not allowed you get an electric shock. You say "My cavalry is charging that square" and it says "You failed, rally back to either your start point or to 50 paces from the enemy, take off 6 figures due to fire from the squares."

ChatDBN anyone?
Etranger
Jezebel

Post by Etranger »

ochoin wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:00 pm I've decided the answer lies with a Head's Up Display. All the data can be projected via a transparent, scanning laser.
I guess I'd blink to change pages.

...anyone got one of these devices? :-P

donald

Commander Bond can help you there...