Oldest wargame figures still in your possession

For your Wargames Wittering
Penda
Gaynor

Re: Oldest wargame figures still in your possession

Post by Penda »

Dixon Miniatures ACW union infantry from early 1980's seems most likely in GHQ. I've often wondered where my earlier collections ended up after I'd sold them on...hopefully not the skip!
There is no point in being stupid if you don't show it!

www.talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk
www.talesfromrhanzlistan.blogspot.co.uk
goat major
Grizzly Madam

Post by goat major »

Garrison Greeks and Persians that I got for Xmas 1977. Most of them now finally painted
Goaty bloggy thing http://goatmajor.org.uk
Goaty twitty thing http://www.twitter.com/GoatMajor
Etranger
Jezebel

Post by Etranger »

Leaving aside the Airfix etc plastics, with some survivors from 1974; there would be some Minifigs and Hinchcliffe figures from 1978 or thereabouts, mostly for fantasy gamin, including some of the Valley of the Four Winds range, which were (& are) great figures. https://www.miniatures-workshop.com/los ... Four_Winds (Having looked at that list I've actually got a few more of the VFW range that I realised!). Slightly later, but I've got some of the Heritage D & D boxed sets.

There's also some 1/300 microarmour also from 1978, including Leicester micromodels, who became Skytrex; and some Heroics and Ros.
goat major
Grizzly Madam

Post by goat major »

VFW is one of the most imaginative fantasy ranges ever , I love them !
Goaty bloggy thing http://goatmajor.org.uk
Goaty twitty thing http://www.twitter.com/GoatMajor
MarshalNey
Gaynor

Post by MarshalNey »

Airfix Old Guard 1/32 eagle bearer from 1980s - now in sons possession.
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Ilkley Old School wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:04 pm .....Alberken French Voltigeurs from BMW Models in Wimbledon in 1972.
Well, we have a leader I think - certainly as regards metals! Alberken later became Minifigs didn't they? I also recall the BMW shop (nothing to do with cars, by the way - stood for Builders' Merchants, Wimbledon!) as I bought my first ever metal figures from there around that same time - three Hinchliffe Napoleonic Highland officers. All three of which I managed to lose out of my pocket somewhere between Haydon's Road and Wimbledon Town Hall - retraced my steps, but no sign of them. :cry:
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
Spanner
PurpleBot

Post by Spanner »

My oldest are Battle Honours 15mm ACW, bought in about '88, when Danny Boreham was taking 'phone orders for BH. They, and some BH Napoleonic Prussians (since swapped for 18mm SYW), were funded by the sale of my old Minifig 20mm and 25mm figures.

My old Airfix and other plastic figures were sent to the dump when I was doing my recruit training. A nice surprise when I came home on leave.... :hair:
Attachments
T_ACW11Jan06_08crop.JPG
T_ACW11Jan06_08crop.JPG (183.28 KiB) Viewed 500 times
If "The System" is the answer, who asked such a bloody stupid question?
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Spanner wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:03 am My old Airfix and other plastic figures were sent to the dump when I was doing my recruit training. A nice surprise when I came home on leave.... :hair:
Seems to be a common theme with LAW members - we should have badges made. I was going to suggest blazers, but having seen some of us in the flesh I don't think we could afford that much material. (Having said that, I wonder how many deckchairs we could lift in a single visit to Scarbados...?)
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

I have a blazer I'll have you know, in only small tent size!

My airfix were given to a girlfriends son, she never forgave me.
Spanner
PurpleBot

Post by Spanner »

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:25 am Seems to be a common theme with LAW members.
Apparently the painted plastics were toys that could be disposed of (along with some built and unbuilt models, some board wargames and my Military Modelling magazines), but the mostly unpainted metal were not. They went back to Brizzie with me and lived in my locker.
BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:25 am [we should have badges made. I was going to suggest blazers, but having seen some of us in the flesh I don't think we could afford that much material. (Having said that, I wonder how many deckchairs we could lift in a single visit to Scarbados...?)
It's getting warm here, so a blazer would be uncomfortable. Besides, most of me clothes have shrunk, so I wouldn't be able to give you an accurate size.
If "The System" is the answer, who asked such a bloody stupid question?