Paint rack ideas/thoughts

For your Wargames Wittering
goat major
Grizzly Madam

Re: Paint rack ideas/thoughts

Post by goat major »

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: (Sorry, I couldn't think of a "rat-" pun.)
That all sounds fine for paint bottles but not much use for rat-tle cans
Goaty bloggy thing http://goatmajor.org.uk
Goaty twitty thing http://www.twitter.com/GoatMajor
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

The semi would be 20 paints per level, and the quarters 10 at the moment.

Test using card of the rack shown here. Cat not included in final product.

The different coloured circles are different hole sizes, so 10 Valljho/Coat D'arms et al bottles or 7 GW sized ones per quadrant.

The plan is for it to be modular, so you can have different paints on each level, and swap them over if you so wished.
MarshalNey
Gaynor

Post by MarshalNey »

Sorry for the pic quality and also for not being smart enough to think of a rat gag.

BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

I've noticed a definite split on here between "noses in the air" and "bums pointed skywards" in terms of the orientation of paints when being stored. What benefits are there to each style, and do some products fare better one way up rather than t'other?
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
Panzer21
Loose Virgin

Post by Panzer21 »

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:38 pm I've noticed a definite split on here between "noses in the air" and "bums pointed skywards" in terms of the orientation of paints when being stored. What benefits are there to each style, and do some products fare better one way up rather than t'other?
Upside down is I assume based on theories on the best way to ensure the pigment doesn't settle to the bottom due to gravity.

I would have thought they still need mixing / shaking to ensure the carrier and pigments mix.

The issue is mostly with dropper bottles; some come with ball bearings and some people add them. Others go for nail polish agitators and other weird devices.

I am a relatively recent user of the likes of Vallejo and I have to say I am less of a convert than most. The real downside is the nozzle getting blocked with dried paint often resulting in too much paint being distributed, often explosively! I also find towards the end, you end up with frothy paint due to lots of air being expelled (oh missus!). I dislike having to remember to poke wire into nozzles to clear them....

I should point out I have always used a palette whatever paint I've used, never directly from the pot.

I'm used to actual pots of paint or tubes. With a pot, you can mix the paint by using a stirring tool; I use broken paintbrush handles. With tubes, there's more control on how much paint is squeezed out.

I should also point out it has been very difficult to write the above without double entendres slipping in as it were...☺

Neil
Jamanicus
Fallen Woman

Post by Jamanicus »

I went with something a bit different...I wanted to maximise my desk space and keep all the bits and pieces tidied away, as it's where I work during the day too.

So, I decided to invest in a single set of drawers and convert it into a special painting and modelling station 😀

FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

Yes, I am lucky in having a fixed position for painting.

Nicely done Jamainicus.

I too dislike dropper bottles, and prefer pots, and I use a pack of cheap cocktailsticks/toothpicks from the pondshop as stirrers, £1 for 300 or so!
Peeler
Grizzly Madam

Post by Peeler »

I'd be happy with a semi.
vexillia
Fallen Woman

Post by vexillia »

FreddBloggs wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:35 pm The semi would be 20 paints per level, and the quarters 10 at the moment.

The different coloured circles are different hole sizes, so 10 Valljho/Coat D'arms et al bottles or 7 GW sized ones per quadrant.

The plan is for it to be modular, so you can have different paints on each level, and swap them over if you so wished.
Would the vertical space allow the larger craft paint bottles or would they have to be on the top? Plus are you thinking MDF or acrylic?
Martin Stephenson :: Work | Blog | Auctions

FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

Depends on the bottle sizes, if a taller riser was needed I could arrange for that as an option.

It is in 3.6mm ply, cheaper than perspex, solider than MDF (and less smelly to cut).

Here is the finished protype.