Trotters or Gallopers?

For your Wargames Wittering
ochoin
Gaynor

Trotters or Gallopers?

Post by ochoin »

The 'Victory without Quarter' rules ask you to designate all Horse as Gallopers (Swedish style- ie charge home) or Trotters (Dutch style- eg fire pistols).
I think this fair enough. Most Royalist Horse should de labelled "Gallopers" for instance.

But how about the Covenanter cavalry? It was seen as historically a bit ordinary - so Trotters? But surely the lance-armed regiments must have been meant to charge home? What else do you do with a lance? So, also 'Gallopers" albeit a bit more reluctant to charge?

donald
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Re: Trotters or Gallopers?

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

As I understand it - and I'm open to correction on this - most Scottish horse consisted of a front rank of lancers and a rear rank armed with pistols.
So maybe the lancers were only too happy to charge home, just to get away from those "carefree" pistoleers behind them? I also gather that it was more the quality of the horseflesh than the standard of recruits or their training, that made the Covenanter cavalry so woeful.
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

Having a lance doesn't necessary mean it's intended for use in a charge. Perhaps it's intended for us in the pursuit of stuff what is running away or otherwise scattered, or for skirmishing.

And, off you go......

Iain
Count Belisarius
Grizzly Madam

Post by Count Belisarius »

Like a pike?
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Don't tell them.....
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
tim.w
Jezebel

Post by tim.w »

Count Belisarius wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:58 pm Like a pike?
Yes, but a skirmishing pike.

Personally I would field as Gallopers if no other choice. Pikepersons Lament has the same distinction of horse units, which I find a bit simplistic for the period if you're covering more Eastern types too.
ochoin
Gaynor

Post by ochoin »

To me, it almost seems a two-tier way of grading cavalry. EG Rupert's cavaliers - Gallopers- tended to smack the early Parliamentarian Horse )-trotters- around. and when Cromwell got his act together, the Ironsides - gallopers- dominated.

donald
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Which stands to reason when you think about it really - shooting pistols at people heading towards you at a rate of knots and with murder/mayhem in mind, is really only going to end one way.