Tight wad

For your Wargames Wittering
bangorstu
PurpleBot

Re: Tight wad

Post by bangorstu »

and even in Scotland (and other far flung parts of the UK) things like paint or even rattle cans have to come with an expensive courier,
I've got an independent Warhammer Shop and a hobby shop (selling I think four model paint ranges) in my high street, with another three model /wargames shops within a half hour drive.....

Both the shops in Bangor have gaming space...

Just thought I'd mention it.

:thumbs:
bangorstu
PurpleBot

Post by bangorstu »

I have to say incidentally that a quick look at Plastic Soldier Review shows the situation is somewhat better than stated for plastics.
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

and even in Scotland (and other far flung parts of the UK) things like paint or even rattle cans have to come with an expensive courier,
Just ordered a rattle can for my WW1 French (Thalassa Blue from the Montana Black range) and a similar can of Winsor & Newton matt varnish from a shop in Nawff Lundinn. Total cost about £21 including £4+ for delivery by courier. And I had to send a depiction of my passport to prove I was 18 for one of the items. Interestingly, they didn't say which one - might have a sniff of both just to see if I can work it out for myself.....

Arrived in a jiffy (well, four days, to be completely accurate).
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

bangorstu wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:47 pm
I've got an independent Warhammer Shop and a hobby shop (selling I think four model paint ranges) in my high street, with another three model /wargames shops within a half hour drive.....

Both the shops in Bangor have gaming space...

Just thought I'd mention it.

:thumbs:
Old John is always reminding me how good the hobby shops are in your neck of the woods. My nearest decent shop is twenty miles away, and I don't think there is one in central London any more.
bangorstu
PurpleBot

Post by bangorstu »

We are blessed here....

I've done this before but if anyone is visiting the area:

Bangor: Hobby Shop - GW, board games, Bolt Action, Army Painter and Ammo Paints.
Henry's - GW mainly. Often not open early....

Llanfair PG: Mona Models - tiny shop but GW, Army Painter and plastic models.

Porthmadog: Porthmadog Models - big shop, Humbrol paints, everything you could want in plastic.

Llandudno: Acme Games - GW, 28mm plastics, Bolt Action, Board Games, lots of paint ranges including Vallejo, Flames of War.

All run by lovely people, all deserving of your custom should you be in the area.
tim.w
Jezebel

Post by tim.w »

There's a huge wargames shop in Bridlington, I'll be going next month. Taking the outlaws to the coast for a couple of nights Air B'nBing.
Spanner
PurpleBot

Post by Spanner »

Lucky, lucky bastards! My nearest shop, even for paint, is 150km away.

Damn, if I'd have walked another 200m up the road I'd have found the Bangor hobby shop (probably closed on a Saturday afternoon, though). Mind you it was wet and the high street was packed with people, food carts and stalls (Saturday market or something?), so I grabbed a coffee and pasty from the Greggs and retreated back to the hotel.

Let me guess, Stu- I also missed a really good 2nd hand book shop as well?
If "The System" is the answer, who asked such a bloody stupid question?
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

bangorstu wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:15 pm We are blessed here....

I've done this before but if anyone is visiting the area:

Bangor: Hobby Shop - GW, board games, Bolt Action, Army Painter and Ammo Paints.
Henry's - GW mainly. Often not open early....

Llanfair PG: Mona Models - tiny shop but GW, Army Painter and plastic models.

Porthmadog: Porthmadog Models - big shop, Humbrol paints, everything you could want in plastic.

Llandudno: Acme Games - GW, 28mm plastics, Bolt Action, Board Games, lots of paint ranges including Vallejo, Flames of War.

All run by lovely people, all deserving of your custom should you be in the area.
I've visited the Portmadog and Llandudno shops - they are indeed both excellent. I've never seen so many different paint ranges in one place as in the Llandudno shop.
bangorstu
PurpleBot

Post by bangorstu »

Spanner, not only is the Hobby Shop only 50m from Greggs, it's open 7 days a week.....
Spanner
PurpleBot

Post by Spanner »

****! ****! ****! ****! ****!!

If I ever get back there (highly doubtful) I'll know better. At least I didn't miss out on a good bookshop as well. Have you ever been to Cafe and Books in Llangollen, Stu? I picked up a few books there on my last trip. It's only just up the track from you.
If "The System" is the answer, who asked such a bloody stupid question?