Ayton 2019 VBCW topic

For Loose Games & Shows.
Etranger
Jezebel

Re: Ayton 2019 VBCW topic

Post by Etranger »

Buff Orpington wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:02 pm Let's settle for "sturdy pram".
It may be that there is some significance in the fact that I can't find any record of the Germans using any that the BEF left behind.
That nice Major Becker converted quite a few into an SP artillery battery.

https://wargamingmiscellanybackup.wordp ... n-service/

(Sorry Paul. I missed your post in my eagerness to show off! :hair: )
Buff Orpington
Grizzly Madam

Post by Buff Orpington »

That'll learn me! I could have got that information from a FoW rulebook.*

*3rd Edition obviously.
I know when to go out
I know when to stay in
Get things done
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

I wonder if they tipped over backwards when the gun fired.
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
levied troop
Grizzly Madam

Post by levied troop »

Iain - could you republish the 60 points system please ( I'm contemplating a Women's Institute force to ensure you all get home for tea on time and wipe your feet before you come in).
I get lockdown, but I get up again.
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

Originally posted on the old forum - 31 August 2017..........

I said I’d post some notes to set people on the right road should they wish to start planning their factions ridiculously early (Ayton 2019 being just over twenty months hence at the time of writing). As the long lead in time leaves plenty of scope for twists and turns in the plan, at this stage I just want to lay down a few clues about organisation and just a couple ‘boundaries’. All the backstory and historical stuff can follow later.

A. The basic premise
The time and place: 1938 Ayton, Yorkshire - and the roads, rivers, seas and skies leading to 1930's Ayton. Note that this is 20thC Britain– not an alternative universe.

One figure/model represents one person/vehicle.

Subject to the organisation guide and boundaries below, players can raise factions based on whatever warped ideas and ideology they can come up with. There’s no reason why players shouldn’t raise more than one faction – but I may restrict cooperation between them if there's a danger of unbalancing the games. There will be a very simple campaign before the Ayton weekend whereby the factions make their way to 1930's Ayton. A little more detailed campaigning will follow over the weekend as players negotiate the splendid county side round 1930's Ayton. Don’t worry just yet about who or what or why you’ll be fighting.

B. Organisation
This isn’t set in stone but I suggest we say the starting point for each faction is 60 people who are on foot and armed with a selection of rifles, shotguns and perhaps pistols. A player can better equip his faction by reducing the number of people in the faction. These are my suggestions for how this works but I’m happy to discuss, add and amend as necessary. Factions which must travel long distances to get to 1930's Ayton my get some free transport.

‘Jones’’ delivery van capable of transporting thirteen lightly armed people …….costs 3 people.
A horse drawn wagon capable of transporting nine lightly armed people …….costs 2 people.
A homemade lightly armoured car with a maximum capacity of four people …cost 5 people (weapons extra).
Vickers Light Tank with capacity of two people…….cost 8 people (weapons extra).
A riding horse…….costs 1 person.
A push or motor bike…….cost on application.
A pack horse/mule…..cost 1 person for three
A sub machine gun …..costs 3 people (maximum four)
A light machine gun……costs 4 people (maximum three)
A heavy machine gun ……. costs 6 people (maximum one. UK armed forces only)
An anti tank rifle……cost 4 people (maximum one for non UK armed forces)
A bag of six grenades……..costs 4 people (maximum one for non UK armed forces)

B. Boundaries
If it existed in common use in the 1930's and if your faction can reasonably be expected to have the ability and wherewithal to operate what you have in mind, then you can probably have it - subject to my approval. Cost on application.

C. Rules
Simple and fun. Not yet decided upon, and the final decision will be mine.

D. Other stuff
It would be very helpful if each player could paint a few non-combatant ‘civilians’ so that we have a local population. I can’t stress strongly enough that the object of the campaign is not to leave 1930s Ayton as a smouldering wreck, nor is it to endanger the residents…..the civilians are simply to add ‘colour’.

In response to a question about SMGs I added..........

I agree that there may need to be a bit of give and take. The cost in 'people' of the SMG reflects my expectation that it will be an effective weapon in our games, but obviously that's just a guess at this stage. I can also foresee an issue with the boxed sets of figures, many of which seem to come armed to the teeth. Plenty of time to tweak things but you can get a flavour of the direction I'm taking from the costs I've allocated.

I hope you're reassured?

Iain

Ps although Russians may have a bit of a language problem.....have you considered an interpreter?....... Cost 30 people :rofl:

About aircraft I said this......

I'm a bit unsure what to do with aircraft and I'm rather hoping to learn what Paul's up to before making any decisions. Probably, just probably, the cost of aircraft will depend on the potential threat they have to people on the ground.

About weapons and vehicles I said this.......

I'm happy that the points cost for weapons reflects where I want to be come the day of reckoning. If they need to be tweaked I'm sure the change will be negligible. The cost of transport reflects a number of factors, including cost, availability and impact. I'm content to leave things as they are at the moment but I will keep in mind your suggestion.

About regulars........

You can indeed have standard military types......soldiers, sailors, marines....and you can have civilian forces and services such as police, local government and civil servants. Some or all of these may need some special rules (good and not so good) but by all means, fill your boots.

And about risk to non combatants.....

Great idea LT. I'm not the sort of umpire who takes kindly to payers who put non-combatants in harms way so some sort of a slap should it happen rather appeals to me.

I'll take all the suggestions I can get for adding flavour and backstory to the weekend. Hotel Tim has suggested a rather splendid idea based on our 'real life' personages.....more on that later.
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

Essex Boy wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:18 pmThe cost of transport reflects a number of factors, including cost, availability and impact.
Just to inform this I did some research after this was first posted and forgot to forward it:
For every Jones Style Large Commercial vehicle in 1930s Britain there were:

c. 3 Motorcycles
c. 6.5 Private Cars
c. 10 Horses
and
c. 25 Bicycles

Considering the carrying capacity comparing vans to Horses the former seem very cheap ;)
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

A lot of the motorised stuff - especially motorcycles and lorries - would still have been of WW1 vintage in the countryside, with fewer bits to go wrong and repair skills easier to acquire. Tractors became much more common from 1930 onwards, due to mass production and improvements in engine design, and the mid-1930s also saw the introduction of the Ferguson hydraulic system for attaching implements to them.

I was also going to add that there would have been a lot more horse-drawn transport around back then, and whilst you wouldn't use it to charge the enemy (as you might in, say, a lorry) it would certainly be invaluable for carrying troops and equipment/supplies up to the periphery of the battlefield. Worth bearing in mind that the British Army only mechanised to any great extent in the mid-1930s - ironically, selling most of its excess horses to the Germans.
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

Obviously each method of transport has it's own advantages and disadvantages but ultimately it is just transport. Perhaps a straightforward 1 person point provides transport for 4 people or up to 4 people?
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

Paul wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:55 pm
Essex Boy wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:18 pmThe cost of transport reflects a number of factors, including cost, availability and impact.
Just to inform this I did some research after this was first posted and forgot to forward it:
For every Jones Style Large Commercial vehicle in 1930s Britain there were:

c. 3 Motorcycles
c. 6.5 Private Cars
c. 10 Horses
and
c. 25 Bicycles

Considering the carrying capacity comparing vans to Horses the former seem very cheap ;)
That's extremely interesting. Thank you Paul.
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

Paul wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:28 pm Obviously each method of transport has it's own advantages and disadvantages but ultimately it is just transport. Perhaps a straightforward 1 person point provides transport for 4 people or up to 4 people?
I do see your point and I'm grateful for you sharing your thoughts.

I'm not going to die in a ditch over vehicles which truly are just transport. However, as I said earlier, the cost of transport also reflects the potential impact it may have on the game so, at this time, I'm of a mind to leave the list as it is.

Iain