How do I sell on ebay?

For trading your quality goods
Buff Orpington
Grizzly Madam

Re: How do I sell on ebay?

Post by Buff Orpington »

All good advice there Kerry. As an infrequent seller my rule of thumb for auctions is never set a starting price that would break your heart if it only went for that.

Regarding international postage for LaW members, it would probably be cheaper if we all chipped in and one of us flew there to bring it back.
I know when to go out
I know when to stay in
Get things done
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

Noo, chip in and fly him over for ayton.....
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

In the UK Ebay runs the International shipping programme, which means you send international parcels to a local(ish) hub at domestic prices and Ebay sends it on to the purchaser. I presume Ebay in other places has much the same arrangements?

Also, in the UK, at least you have to opt out of allowing people to make offers below your auction start price. Do that, otherwise you get irritated by dweebs wanting to get things at 10% market value. (As an Indicator for that I recently got a Bass guitar from someone on Ebay who had repeatedly been offered £25 by someone else, when the auction start price was £150).
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

Also, in the unlikely event that Tim passes on the NZ figures I'd be interested.
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

At this rate, he won't need ebay, just a container to the uk!
Buff Orpington
Grizzly Madam

Post by Buff Orpington »

Here's an illustration of my rule about starting prices. 2 units of GW Dark Elf scouts, one is neatly painted and more than good enough to go on the table and the other one is bare metal with some sand on the base. Both units from the same seller on the same day for £10 +p&p per set because I was the only bidder.

I know when to go out
I know when to stay in
Get things done
bangorstu
PurpleBot

Post by bangorstu »

I sell a lot on eBay because there is apparently a market for indifferently painted, ammunition quality figures... it gets me through quiet moments at work.

To add to what others have said - only quote a price for international postage that includes insurance and tracking. That way someone can't claim to have never received them.

Wrap each figure in tissue paper and then bundle up in bubble wrap - and use boxes not padded envelopes if anything is based or likely to react badly to be trodden on.

And you'll be surprised at where they end up - both myself and the bloke who runs my FLGS (who also paints for eBay) have sent quite a lot of plastics to someone in Nelson...

Russian addresses are a challenge...
vexillia
Fallen Woman

Post by vexillia »

bangorstu wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:32 pm I sell a lot on eBay because there is apparently a market for indifferently painted, ammunition quality figures... it gets me through quiet moments at work.

To add to what others have said - only quote a price for international postage that includes insurance and tracking. That way someone can't claim to have never received them.

Wrap each figure in tissue paper and then bundle up in bubble wrap - and use boxes not padded envelopes if anything is based or likely to react badly to be trodden on.

And you'll be surprised at where they end up - both myself and the bloke who runs my FLGS (who also paints for eBay) have sent quite a lot of plastics to someone in Nelson...

Russian addresses are a challenge...
Good advice Stu. I would only add that Russian mail tracking is superb. They do it down to individual postal depots.
Martin Stephenson :: Work | Blog | Auctions

Etranger
Jezebel

Post by Etranger »

vexillia wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:18 pm ... I would only add that Russian mail tracking is superb. They do it down to individual postal depots.
All those resources spent tracking spies and dissidents has an upside then!