Grizzly Madam

Re: The ECW

Post by Count Belisarius »

Oi!
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

FreddBloggs wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:52 am Would anyone notice?
Sure, the streets would be full of better behaved, less aggressive people...with shirts on.

….and that's just the women.
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Better football team?
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
levied troop
Grizzly Madam

Post by levied troop »

Another point in favour of First Bishops War and ECW Scots in general is that they wore a fairly uniform Hodden Grey which I suspect would be a fairly quick paint job using your Contrast techniques.

Might be tempted to dig mine out.
I get lockdown, but I get up again.
Norman D. Landings
Grizzly Madam

Post by Norman D. Landings »

levied troop wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:57 am Battle of Newburn, August 1640- your chance to sack Newcastle!
Mugs. Going to all that bother to sack Newcastle when all they had to do was turn up at the Bigg Market on Friday night and join in the ongoing depravity.
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

levied troop wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:44 am Another point in favour of First Bishops War and ECW Scots in general is that they wore a fairly uniform Hodden Grey which I suspect would be a fairly quick paint job using your Contrast techniques.
Not according to Stuart Reid. It could vary from a darkish slate tone, through to an ACW "butternut". Of course, I have met many, many (many!) people who have no qualms about ignoring anything he says......
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

Stuart is pretty good, but does tend to view things through a re-enactors eye. Better than Digby on uniforms.....
levied troop
Grizzly Madam

Post by levied troop »

Opinions do seem to vary on what Hodden Grey actually looked like, but it does seem to be straight-forward to paint and no-one can call you wrong on the shade*. A bit like French Grey. Or Fifty Shades :D

Looking at my copy of the ECW scenarios book I see a typo has them fighting the Battle of Newbum at one point. snigger

*well they will but they’re wrong. Hodden was a poor man’s cloth and while some sources insist on a mix of black and white fleeces in the proportion 1:12 this is a modern standard unlikely to be achieved by 17th century croft weavers. Personally I like the idea of dark brownish grey tinted to fit the blue bonnet. But only because it looks nice.
I get lockdown, but I get up again.
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Jeremy »

I’ve always gone with a brownish grey. I found Vallejo’s Tyre Rubber is the perfect colour with a brown wash