Favourite WSS Rules?

For your Wargames Wittering
Buff Redux
PurpleBot

Favourite WSS Rules?

Post by Buff Redux »

I might, only might at this stage, be buying a collection of 15mm WSS armies and I'm looking for rules suggestions. I want a that could be played through in about 3 hours.

This idea has arisen because a former member of the Deeside club has decided to sell off his wargames stuff while he can. He has a form of dementia and can't even play at home any more.

If I can afford them I'll get them as we could do with more historical gaming in Mold, the nearest that we get atm is Bolt Action.
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Re: Favourite WSS Rules?

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

...which is like saying "the nearest we've got to medical expertise is Gillian McKeith poking through our shit".

"Lace Wars" by Stephen Danes is quite good, I'm told - I happen to have a spare copy of this if you want to take a look; then there's "Captain-General" by the Pike & Shot Society, which I've heard good things about; and finally, Ga Pa (confusingly pronounced Go Po - but nothing to do with the Teletubbies). I haven't played the first two; it's some time since I played the third, but do recall it is very flexible in terms of unit sizes and so doesn't require you to rebase. Time frame is entirely down to how many units you want on the table - Walcourt would be an action that would fit comfortably into your time frame; Blenheim might take a little longer.....
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
Ilkley Old School
PurpleBot

Post by Ilkley Old School »

How about the good old Peter Gilder rules used at the WHC or the updated interpretation Beneath the Lily Banners. I only version 1 so cannot comment on the newest version 3.

Rank and File is worth mentioning.
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

I had Lace Wars and GA PA but never got around to doing anything other than a read through, not even sure if they are still in the "stash".
"Twilight of the Sun King" is my current choice for the period and I hope to do some solo 6mm games with them soon. Piquet: Field of Battle are also good and for a more gamey game "Maurice" is fun.
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

There is an old saying "ask ten wargamers and you'll get twelve different answers" - well, so far three wargamers have given eight answers. Is this a record?
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:50 pm ...so far three wargamers have given eight answers. Is this a record?
I guess it's not knowing what type of game Buff is looking for, Old School, Simulation, "gamey", cinematic etc...
levied troop
Grizzly Madam

Post by levied troop »

If you like Fire & Fury as a rules base then there’s Age of Honour - should suit 15mm and a 3 hour game requirements exactly.
I get lockdown, but I get up again.
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

A wonderful wargaming period - so colourful.

My advice is to take your favourite set of Horse and Musket rules and tweak them ever so slightly to taste.

I've played Beneath Lily Banners and they are good rules, but generic rules, such as Rank and File, will be just as good.

Iain
Buff Redux
PurpleBot

Post by Buff Redux »

Thanks for all the ideas. I shall see what emerges regarding the purchase. I'll have a word with the chap who is handling the sale.
Peeler
Grizzly Madam

Post by Peeler »

Buff Redux wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:16 am I might, only might at this stage, be buying a collection of 15mm WSS armies......
No idea on the rules, but yes, I think you should buy a collection of 15mm WSS armies. Buy them all. All of them.