Vexillia's Gallery

For your gaming pictures & links.
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Re: Vexillia's Gallery

Post by Essex Boy »

I've already started (and stalled) this period in 20mm so I can't justify a dabble.....but they do look nice (contrary to what I may have said earlier).

Iain
vexillia
Fallen Woman

Post by vexillia »

levied troop wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:55 pmYes, I'll sort out a small order to test the 15mm waters :)
I look forward to receiving it. :-)
Martin Stephenson :: Work | Blog | Auctions

vexillia
Fallen Woman

Post by vexillia »

Here's some more TYW goodies:

Click first picture for more information and links to free flags.

vexillia
Fallen Woman

Post by vexillia »

New blog post: A Wargame At Last

Includes photos of MAWS' new venue.

BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Martin - Did you play the old rules (ie rules as written) or any/all of the new amendments? My club recently put on a Southern League round set in the Italian Wars (1500-1550) and we ignored everything other than artillery-related amendments, all of which have been used in tournaments for the last 3-4 years (eg not being able to fire into the flanks, only hitting on a 5 including horse, removed in the next JAP if captured, etc). In your case, I can think of a few others - armour ratings and dragoons, for example - that would have been more appropriate to your period.
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
vexillia
Fallen Woman

Post by vexillia »

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:03 pmMartin - Did you play the old rules (ie rules as written)
As written: having not played for over a year I wanted to keep it simple.

I will switch when v1.1 is released as the changes, like those you mentioned, are generally sensible.

BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

They are talking about the beginning of 2018 for v1.1, once all the feedback has been gathered and assessed from this year's competitions. I'm one of the few players in my club who plays in regional/national tournaments, so I'm (more or less) ok with them, but I know that fellow club members (not generally interested in tournaments) are keen to stay with the RAW.

How is the Northern League going this year? I seem to recall a less-than-glowing report from yourself earlier this year. The Southern version seems to have undergone a minor....well, renaissance, I suppose you'd have to say, this year, with one round still to go at Abingdon in December (1683 - Siege of Vienna, so late period Central European/Balkan armies.
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
vexillia
Fallen Woman

Post by vexillia »

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:48 pmHow is the Northern League going this year? I seem to recall a less-than-glowing report from yourself earlier this year.
Now that's question! Are you sitting comfortably? Then we'll begin:
  • The plan was to run three competitions as in previous years: DBMM, FOGAM & ADLG.
  • FOGR was dropped in favour of ADLG as the core FOGR players wanted to switch to ADLG.
  • No-one turned up for FOGAM and it's just been DBMM & ADLG all year.
  • All of the DBMM rounds are lightly themed as in previous years.
  • Some of the ADLG events were/are also themed. First & last rounds are open.
Looking at the data available so far:
  • DBMM has attracted 8 teams (13 players) up to round 3 with five teams playing in all three rounds.
  • ADLG has attracted 13 teams (15 players) up to round 3 with seven teams playing in all three rounds.
  • At this stage I'm not sure if the player numbers will be better than last year and reverse the general decline.
I'm planning to play in the last ADLG round, if I can get my act together, but as I've only played one game so far I don't expect to do that well. It's really just practice for 2018.

My options for playing FOGR in the NW are severely limited and I will have to do some of the bigger competitions in 2018 if I want a game (that's if I can get my act together).

BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

That's a shame as we (about 10 players at my club and the 12 or so regulars I see on the tournament circuit) think it's a good set of rules, and would like it to keep going. That said, it has now reached the point where the same dozen or so people keep turning up and, although there are occasional surprises (eg player A brings a really naff army, or player B "submarines").
That said, it is good fun and I intend to keep playing next year.
vexillia
Fallen Woman

Post by vexillia »

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:36 pmThat's a shame as we (about 10 players at my club and the 12 or so regulars I see on the tournament circuit) think it's a good set of rules, and would like it to keep going.
I agree. It's a decent set that "feels right" and you can play a 650 point game in a couple of hours.