Some SYW Hessians

For your gaming pictures & links.
RMD
Jezebel

Re: Some SYW Hessians

Post by RMD »

Cheers fellas! Ah, 'tis nonsense! Still got loads to get. I'm only half-way there for Minden and a third-way there for Vellinghausen.
RMD
Jezebel

Post by RMD »

Oh and I've got 10,000+ Napoleonics, but only just hit 5,000 SYW figures with the last unit of Swiss.
Peeler
Grizzly Madam

Post by Peeler »

Very nice too
World2dave
Jezebel

Post by World2dave »

Really nice!
RogerB
Loose Virgin

Post by RogerB »

I could look at your collection all day!
RMD
Jezebel

Post by RMD »

Thanks again, chaps! :)
Spanner
PurpleBot

Post by Spanner »

Very nice, mate. I'm with you with respect to the infantry flags. The design is right and, even if we can't be 100% sure of which colour Regimentsfahnen were used with which regiment, the tradition was that they matched the facings (with white facings using another colour). I'm unlikely to get to the Hessians so I'll drool on the photos of yours.

I'd dismissed Clostercamp as a game, thinking it was too unbalanced. I'll have to reconsider that- if I can woo the locals away from pegasi, wizards, giants and similar.

PS Fred the Hessian wasn't exactly flush with cash, either, so new flags were probably on his "Some Day I'll..." list.
If "The System" is the answer, who asked such a bloody stupid question?
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Probably why he decided to go with barber's pole artillery pieces.
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
Panzer21
First Base

Post by Panzer21 »

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:30 am Probably why he decided to go with barber's pole artillery pieces.
They are actually based on a contemporary painting.......

http://crogges7ywarmies.blogspot.com/se ... 0Artillery

I used them for one of my Imagi-Nation armies and some wag said at least they could sell them to the circus afterwards....
So, I incorporated this into the background and they are now the Zirkus Artillerie of Wilhelm von Pfiffig........
Bugger to paint though.....

Neil
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Just read the article and subsequent comments. The "white" would almost certainly be white lead oxide which was the same colour used on British guns/limbers/etc during this period (and often wrongly depicted as blue-grey by wargamers!); thus off-white/slightly grey would be credible. I had a felling that I have seen a post-Trenton portrait of Washington that has a Hesse-Cassel gun carriage in the shot, which is in the livery of the pre-1770 period, but always figured that it was an artist's research error, and the AWI guns were on Prussian-style medium blue carriages. I guess we'll never know for sure!
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.