Oldest wargame figures still in your possession

For your Wargames Wittering
Zenbadger
Gaynor

Re: Oldest wargame figures still in your possession

Post by Zenbadger »

Just some Donington hoplites I bought in about 1980-82 using a postal order of all things.
Panzer21
First Base

Post by Panzer21 »

Zenbadger wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:34 am Just some Donington hoplites I bought in about 1980-82 using a postal order of all things.
Postal orders! That takes me back........
Neil
Peeler
Grizzly Madam

Post by Peeler »

Apart from airfix etc, I'd say a pack of Mini figs french Napoleonic line infantry, bought in 1977/78, from the (now) stamp shop on St Nicholas St.
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

IIRC, one of the leading London model shops, back in the day, was also a stamp shop (Rye Stamp and Hobby - run by, I think, Bill Brewer?) - am I thinking of the same one, Mark? Down Peckham way - probably not far from Nelson Mandela House.....
Last edited by BaronVonWreckedoften on Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
goat major
Grizzly Madam

Post by goat major »

In my youth the only place to buy wargame figures in Middlesbrough was the stamp shop on Linthorpe Rd.
Goaty bloggy thing http://goatmajor.org.uk
Goaty twitty thing http://www.twitter.com/GoatMajor
Peeler
Grizzly Madam

Post by Peeler »

No, my one was in Scarborough. Sounds as stamp shops selling figures was maybe a bit of a thing though.
Willz the Wargamer
Gaynor

Post by Willz the Wargamer »

Early Hinchcliffe French Napoleonic infantry, the first metal figures I painted.
Probably some WW2 Airfix figures and tanks.

Willz.
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

Panzer21 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:41 pm Postal orders! That takes me back........
Neil
They still exist...I wonder if anyone still uses them?
Count Belisarius
Grizzly Madam

Post by Count Belisarius »

I looked them up too. Good they are still around. Can't remember last time I bought one!

I purged a lot of my old stuff years ago between moves. Probably the oldest I have is a Citadel (I think) Medieval dude bought in 1980...
Tim Hall
Gaynor

Post by Tim Hall »

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:01 pm IIRC, one of the leading London model shops, back in the day, was also a stamp shop (Rye Stamp and Hobby - run by, I think, Bill Brewer?) - am I thinking of the same one, Mark? Down Peckham way - probably not far from Nelson Mandela House.....
I always enjoyed my trips to the Rye Stamp and Hobby shop. Bill Brewer was a very nice chap when you got to know him, and he always remembered my name. We used to have a good old hobby natter. I purchased all of my hoard of Essex Miniatures there, and a unit of Medieval archers painted by the man himself. I know Kevin Dallimore was one of his acolytes, but Bill was far and away the better painter in my book. I never saw any stamps on sale though.

As to oldest figure, the only candidates I could locate are a handful of ACW officers from Steve Hezzlewood's excellent "Echelon" range circa 1980, oh and a couple of Stadden 30mm Zulu War Brits. They are all still serving proudly. Everything else has been sold over the years to fund new projects.
Rules? You ask me what rules do I use. No, I don't do rules.