Paint rack ideas/thoughts

For your Wargames Wittering
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Paint rack ideas/thoughts

Post by FreddBloggs »

Gentlemen (and I use the term loosely) I am after opinions on paint racks, what do you like about the ones you use, what don't you like, what would you like to see?

I personally use a circular rack mounted on a turntable, 3 tiers high as I find that is most paint for least worktable footprint. Others I know favour stepped racks and vertical racks etc.

So ideas, thoughts, wisdom on the matter.

Yes it does mean I am designing laser cut ones....
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Re: Paint rack ideas/thoughts

Post by Essex Boy »

I use two of the circular racks on turntables. Very good. 84 paints each in theory, but I tend to squeeze rather more than that on the shelves.

22" w x 11" d x 18" h.

E

Ps that's not including the paint I keep in those small wooden draw units sold by Ikea.

Pps I have too much paint.
goat major
Grizzly Madam

Post by goat major »

I store mine on the 'H' of the 254x146 steel beam supporting my roof. Possibly thats not going to catch on though.

The overflow just get rammed in a drawer. Because EB solutions are the best.
Goaty bloggy thing http://goatmajor.org.uk
Goaty twitty thing http://www.twitter.com/GoatMajor
MarshalNey
Gaynor

Post by MarshalNey »

I was looking for the pics of my two paint racks but found this on my postimage account. So I've contributed this...
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

Ahhh British Museum, steps around the British Museum Reading room of fame and you can see the Portico the contractors ripped them off by using French stone instead of Portland when they opened up the Great Court area!
MarshalNey
Gaynor

Post by MarshalNey »

But you missed her rack
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

Essex Boy wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:45 pm I use two of the circular racks on turntables. Very good. 84 paints each in theory, but I tend to squeeze rather more than that on the shelves.

22" w x 11" d x 18" h.

E

Ps that's not including the paint I keep in those small wooden draw units sold by Ikea.

Pps I have too much paint.
I know EB, I sold you them.....

The new version is 250mm diametre (up from 220mm), but takes 40 paints a tier instead of 28, and will be modular so you can go up to 4 high if you needed to.

One of the reasons for the thread is it got mentioned that semi circular racks to against a flat wall or quarter circles for corners might be valid ideas.
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

MarshalNey wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:06 pm But you missed her rack
Bettany Hughes, she is ok.
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

You did indeed, Fred, and I'm very grateful to you.

I don't think I would want to go higher than three tiers - I wouldn't be able to see the top tier without standing up.

And, although forty paints per tier sounds good, I wonder if access to the paint at the back would be an issue.

I'd be interested in seeing a photo or technical drawing of the new version, but I'm so happy with what I have that I doubt I'd invest in something new until necessity drove me to it.

Iain
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

FreddBloggs wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:09 pm One of the reasons for the thread is it got mentioned that semi circular racks to against a flat wall or quarter circles for corners might be valid ideas.
Very good idea. I have two of the circular carousel type cited by yourself and EB, purchased at a "Warfare" show back in the Rivermead Leisure Centre days; each holds four layers of 20 Foundry/Coat d'arms pots, so 80 total on each (the central reservations hold my two dozen or so inks, Humbrol dark blues, and Tamiya "naval" colours). I also have a very nice MDF one kindly donated to me by Tim W. at Ayton, back in April, holding 43 Vallejo/Reaper type dropper bottles.

I'm in much the same position as EB as regards new storage, although my painting desk does have an area where one semi-circular or two quadrant types would fit very nicely.. The main problem with a semi-circular design is that you would need to resolve that it can't be revolved; and a 40-pot level would require a substantial size of arc (and some clever dick would then want to fill that arc with at least two of each type of paint.....).

(Sorry, I couldn't think of a "rat-" pun.)
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.