Walls

For your gaming pictures & links.
ochoin
Gaynor

Walls

Post by ochoin »

I've been re-vamping my Scottish walled town for our ECW gaming.

I'll need to acquire 3 more wall sections from Anyscale & I think I'll make a separate base board for it but I think this will provide some nice enough terrain to fight over.

donald
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Re: Walls

Post by Essex Boy »

Ooo that looks rather nice.
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Happy to be corrected, but I'm not sure that walled towns were really a thing in mid-17th Century Scotland.
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
valleyboy
Jezebel

Post by valleyboy »

excellent
ochoin
Gaynor

Post by ochoin »

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:34 pm Happy to be corrected, but I'm not sure that walled towns were really a thing in mid-17th Century Scotland.
I think you're right - the place was terminally poor & small urban centres would not have been able to build walls. However various large towns/cities were walled eg Kirkcudbright had a "mickle gate & wall" when besieged by one of those Sassenach Carletons in the 1500s. Been there and there are remains of the wall.

I just have trouble calling my structure a "city" though it'll probably represent Perth or some such.

donald
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

I just think that walls of that size and sturdiness would have been protecting a proper castle establishment rather than a few hairy-roofed bothies.
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
ochoin
Gaynor

Post by ochoin »

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:10 pm I just think that walls of that size and sturdiness would have been protecting a proper castle establishment rather than a few hairy-roofed bothies.
I think you're right but in my "imaginarium", the ECW in Scotland will be fought over the probably implausible impressive walls defending the mean wee hooses.

donald
ochoin
Gaynor

Post by ochoin »

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:10 pm I just think that walls of that size and sturdiness would have been protecting a proper castle establishment rather than a few hairy-roofed bothies.
As always, you've given me something to think about.
Anyscale offers this:

https://anyscalemodels.co.uk/products/scottish-castle

I could clear out the domestic buildings & use this as a keep.
But I'm not sure - a medieval-looking castle is something for Lion Rampant, not the ECW.

Still thinking....

donald
Patrice
Loose Virgin

Post by Patrice »

Superb! :)
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

Most Castles in Scotland probably were exactly as the OP looks, a decent wall surrounding a tower and a few "hairy-roofed bothies"?