Matt Bickley's Vikings

For your Wargames Wittering
Penda
Gaynor

Re: Matt Bickley's Vikings

Post by Penda »

tim.w wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:46 am Bit fussy otherwise though.
By fussy I take it you mean too detailed for your taste, otherwise it seems an odd choice of adjective. Each to their own of course, as it should be, but I know which I would prefer to paint.
There is no point in being stupid if you don't show it!

www.talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk
www.talesfromrhanzlistan.blogspot.co.uk
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Lovely looking sculpts - he's done you, and himself, proud, Mr P.
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
Jamanicus
Fallen Woman

Post by Jamanicus »

These do look really nice scults!!! Very characterful and perfect for skirmish or some kinda character-based game!!!!

I kinda get what Tim said, but mainly from a Mass-ranked perspective....I find the same with some of the beautiful Reconquer figures....super detailed and really 'faffy' to paint a lot of them 🤣

Gripping beast for a shit-tonne of figures....figures like these for a bespoke warband...very nice!!
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

Penda wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:25 pm
tim.w wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:46 am Bit fussy otherwise though.
By fussy I take it you mean too detailed for your taste, otherwise it seems an odd choice of adjective. Each to their own of course, as it should be, but I know which I would prefer to paint.
I think he meant "unnecessary" detail. Some sculptors add extra stuff just for the sake of it, and sometimes it's nice to paint clean sculpts, it's a matter of personal taste.
I don't know if these figures were digitally sculpted but that tends to be when people go overboard on adding bits.

I do like these figures, the Bondi are great, but it's "horses for courses" and these are starting to edge into the fantasy end of the viking market maybe a little too much for some folk.
tim.w
Jezebel

Post by tim.w »

Both Jaimie and Paul understood. I do like them dont get me wrong but I don't need my rank and file to be too complicated. I have bought character figures where needed but I need a bit of bulk too, which can't take too much painting time.

I feel the same about GW's Age of Smegma figures, lovely but a lot of detail to deal with.
Penda
Gaynor

Post by Penda »

Horses for courses of course though I'd put Gripping Beast figures way down the list personally 😉

Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

Penda wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:25 am Horses for courses of course though I'd put Gripping Beast figures way down the list personally 😉
Gripping Beast were the "Gold" standard twenty years ago and are still probably the best in terms of historical accuracy. I remember talking to them when they started out regarding how they were aiming to produce figures based on "evidence".
Penda
Gaynor

Post by Penda »

'...twenty years ago...', says it all really in my opinion. But, if you like them that's fine isn't it? I see no point in pursuing the matter further. Each to their own as I said.

Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

Penda wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:42 pm '...twenty years ago...', says it all really in my opinion.
In that case we must all be well in need of replacement :D
Penda
Gaynor

Post by Penda »

Well, I've had one knee and one hip replacement, does that count?😁