Salute 2024

For Loose Games & Shows.
valleyboy
Jezebel

Re: Salute 2024

Post by valleyboy »

Spanner wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:37 am Gents, if I do get me fat arse into a plane and head to the UK again- and immigration lets me in- the trip will be timed to allow me to finally attend one of the BIG UK shows. I won't be there for the trade stands so much (perhaps a bit, for books more than anything- I'll be painting for 50 years after I'm dead, just to finish off what I have now) but for the demo games and possibly participation games.

Regional rivalry set aside, which show would you recommend for an uncouth, opinionated and mouthy Aussie to attend?

Cheers.

PS My last visit to Newark was not pleasant, but I may be able to not remember the past if you think Partizan is worth it. Perhaps. As long as taxis and trains are not involved.
If you want to shop its Salute but if you want to be wowed by games then Partizan. When we go this year we'll stay in Lincoln which seems to be a lovely city rather than Newark
Peeler
Grizzly Madam

Post by Peeler »

Essex Boy wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:58 pm
Peeler wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:39 pm It was Kensington Town Hall, always packed out. Is it at the 02 thing now?
It's at the Excel Centre and, just to be clear, it's at the Excel Centre.
Is the 02 thing & Excel thing not the same thing then?
Spanner
PurpleBot

Post by Spanner »

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:47 am Where was the last Partizan you visited - Kelham Hall, or the new(er) venue at the Newark Show Ground?
I haven't been to a big UK show, mate. Not even a small one. The only time I was in Newark I was trudging in the rain, and dragging me suitcase, from Newark Castle station to Newark Northgate station. The trudging was necessary because the Newark taxis were all sitting in the Northgate carpark- while the drivers stuffed their faces (morning tea time?). Apparently that's what "All our taxis are engaged." means to the three cab companies in Newark, or at least to their telephonists.

I managed to dry off before I got to Edinburgh.

Thanks, gents. Partizan is also the response I'm getting from other people I've asked. Would it be fair to say Salute is more of a trade show, while Partizan is for gaming? Not enough time to prep a trip this year (I have things to do in the HGM and MdlA, if I can arrange them), so I'll pencil in for May next year.

Very much appreciated.
If "The System" is the answer, who asked such a bloody stupid question?
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

Peeler wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:03 pm
Essex Boy wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:58 pm
Peeler wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:39 pm It was Kensington Town Hall, always packed out. Is it at the 02 thing now?
It's at the Excel Centre and, just to be clear, it's at the Excel Centre.
Is the 02 thing & Excel thing not the same thing then?
:fp:

Provincials!
Tim Hall
Gaynor

Post by Tim Hall »

I have to say that last year was my last Salute, it's expensive and over rated. And frankly, as I was wearing man's clothes there last year I felt decidely under dressed.
Rules? You ask me what rules do I use. No, I don't do rules.
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

Tim Hall wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:23 pm I have to say that last year was my last Salute, it's expensive and over rated. And frankly, as I was wearing man's clothes there last year I felt decidely under dressed.
:lol:
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Spanner wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:46 pm Thanks, gents. Partizan is also the response I'm getting from other people I've asked. Would it be fair to say Salute is more of a trade show, while Partizan is for gaming? Not enough time to prep a trip this year (I have things to do in the HGM and MdlA, if I can arrange them), so I'll pencil in for May next year.
Salute is a glorified fantasy/sci-fi fest (with a bit of historical wargaming thrown in) in a poorly lit and acoustically awful exhibition hall that does a more than passable impression of an abandoned aircraft hangar, supported by minimum taste/maximum profit catering. Tim's comments about the "dress code" pretty much sums up the amount of cosplay stuff going on in support of the main emphasis (which used to be a minor part of the show, the majority being the historical wargames). Partizan, by contrast, is the epitome of a perfect wargames show - plenty of historical and fantasy/sci-fi games (with the gaming section conveniently split between demo and participation) AND a good selection of traders. The catering is a bit "chips with everything" but the portions are generous and you don't feel you are being ripped off. You can even make out what the announcer is saying over the tannoy.

There's even an element of humour in the table allocation - one club ALWAYS puts on a game set in India with a big river running down one side of the table, and they are always sited next to the toilets, so by the end of the day, you not only get an authentic view of Indian warfare, you also get the authentic smell of a major Indian waterway, into the bargain.
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

I suspect Tim's reference to clothing had more to do with the number of cross dressers, rather than the number of cosplayers.

Tim and the Baron are just being Salute mizzogs (I'm surprised they didn't mention the other common complaint - the horrid, uncarpeted concrete floor, which is apparently harder than any other concrete floor ever laid...anywhere). Don't listen to them. Salute is a great show. And perfectly adequately lit.

I don't know. Some people.

That said.....if I were you, I'd go to Partizan.

Iain
Spanner
PurpleBot

Post by Spanner »

Partizan it is, gents, and thank you again.
If "The System" is the answer, who asked such a bloody stupid question?
Tim Hall
Gaynor

Post by Tim Hall »

Essex Boy wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:45 pm I suspect Tim's reference to clothing had more to do with the number of cross dressers, rather than the number of cosplayers.

Iain
Correctimundo.

The lighting is crap though, especially when like me, you are as blind as a bat, (yes I do know that bats are not actually blind). The flooring did not bother me at all. But having gone to Salutes over the last 30 years I feel very jaded by the whole experience, as with most wargames shows these days. But that's just me being a curmudgeon.
Rules? You ask me what rules do I use. No, I don't do rules.