First Taste of CoC...

For your Wargames Wittering
levied troop
Grizzly Madam

Re: First Taste of CoC...

Post by levied troop »

Norman D. Landings wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:08 am
......My opponent managed to get a full CoC dice, then couldn’t decide what to do with it.
Interrupt his fiendishly lucky opponent’s turn or End the Turn! Decisions decisions.

I like the patrol phase idea, not seen it done before and it’s certainly exportable. But it’s not always appropriate and the game doesn’t suffer from omit tingling* it.

*I did have ‘omitting it’ but I like spell checks alternative :)
I get lockdown, but I get up again.
Norman D. Landings
Grizzly Madam

Post by Norman D. Landings »

All official forms should have a tick box down in the small print of the last page which says: “Omit tingling?”
Just that. No explanation.
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Jeremy wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:10 am Generally I find multiple sixes are not thrown that often though......
Or at all, with my dice. Not a CoC game, but I did once throw 52 dice in a row (for rifle-armed skirmishers in a British Grenadier game, hitting only on a 6) without getting a single one; another BG game saw all 11 bayonet charges fail to go in in a Bunker Hill refight - had to stand back and shoot the Rebels to bits. Next best effort was at our recent all-weekend event, where a Midway "committee game" saw me fail to score a single six from 44 consecutive dice (representing anti-aircraft fire); other, smaller, defensive rolls were almost equally devoid of 6s. Not surprisingly, my piss-poor ack-ack allowed so many American aircraft through, that my carrier was the only one sunk on either side in a three-hour game. At the end of the game, I was declared to be the lone counterbalance to "the luck of the Irish".
Jeremy wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:10 am ......and well, it all evens out.
After almost 50 years of wargaming, I still await that day with anticipation. Well, I say anticipation - what I really mean is utter cynicism and total disbelief.
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
Purple
Grizzly Madam

Post by Purple »

I really enjoyed CoC when I got to grips with it...

I think like Sharp Practice, you have to enjoy the narrative and stor6 that unfolds.
Last time we Lincolnshire Yakuza played, I gambled on running a squad across a field to shut down a jump off point and Goatmajor after a few terrible actibationrolls previously, suddenly lucked in and spawned in a flame thrower that wiped them out!
It’s not fun for me competitively but what a battlefield scene.
CRISpY
Norman D. Landings
Grizzly Madam

By the time I finished unloading on my hapless opponent, I didn’t even feel good about it anymore.

First fire team shoots, it’s all: “have at you, Fritz!”

But by the time I’d fired the 75mm, sniper team, two full sections, double-six-go-again, second set of dice got me another go with the 75, another go with the sniper, and one full section, I felt like I was taking the piss.
bangorstu
PurpleBot

Post by bangorstu »

Am coming to the end of the Operation Martlett campaign where my opponent has given my poor Landser a thorough thrashing without raising much of a sweat - except the one game when I got Panthers...

We like it, but it is is harsh. If you get things wrong then things become very unglued very quickly... much as in real life.

Of course if you have rolled a double 6, that only gives you 3 dice to actually use to activate things.

And yes, 5s are way more dangerous than 6s - ambushing units, the ability to nullify mortars or interrupt a round are very nasty indeed.

When I get paid might investigate the new 1940 handbook they've brought out.
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Jeremy »

It’s a good one Stu
Norman D. Landings
Grizzly Madam

3 dice to activate things.... but if one of those things is your C.O., he can activate a whole bunch of stuff.
Tim Hall
Gaynor

Post by Tim Hall »

Like most TFL rules it's all a bit Emperor's New Clothes.
Rules? You ask me what rules do I use. No, I don't do rules.
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Jeremy »

Norman D. Landings wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:47 pm 3 dice to activate things.... but if one of those things is your C.O., he can activate a whole bunch of stuff.
Within his command range. And assuming he’s on table and not having to remove shock. It seems you had a bit of a ‘perfect storm’