York Vapnartak 2019

For Loose Games & Shows.
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Re: York Vapnartak 2019

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Essex Boy wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:17 pm In the credits to The Patriot, a certain Baron Von W gets a credit................just saying.
If I did, I'm still waiting for the bloody cheque!
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Jeremy »

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:36 am
Essex Boy wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:17 pm In the credits to The Patriot, a certain Baron Von W gets a credit................just saying.
If I did, I'm still waiting for the bloody cheque!
GM would tell you that you should be heavily fined if this is the case!
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Perhaps he has intercepted said cheque?
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Norman D. Landings
Grizzly Madam

Post by Norman D. Landings »

It was the Baron who talked Mel out of his original idea of making the Jews the bad guys.
The first draft was titled “The Gentile”.
Purple
Grizzly Madam

Post by Purple »

I can see it now...
The Secret Jews; King George and Tarleton begin a romantic gay love affair... Mel, Catholic Patriot Superman catches them in the gay act and is banished to Gallipoli where he has to ....
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Purple wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:24 am I can see it now...
The Secret Jews; King George and Tarleton begin a romantic gay love affair... Mel, Catholic Patriot Superman catches them in the gay act and is banished to Gallipoli where he has to ....
.....cover himself in blue crap, scream "Freedom!" at anything that moves, shag the King's betrothed (who turns out to have been 9 at the time) whilst not really owning slaves, and.....

(Come on - let's keep this going and see if we can get a Mel G film out of it!)
Alex T
Loose Virgin

Post by Alex T »

tim.w wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:07 pm Decent day. Got much of what was on my list. Some nice books, paints, tufts etc. Figure wise not much, Artizan African spearmen for my Moorish LR army, which will finish a unit I have. A fair few Museum Miniatures as a test project to make up some DbECW units. Yes I know about DbR but I also know its shit so hoping we can re-gig DbN to suit.
Tim, a good idea IMO. I have just finished reading through DBR and the first few pages were interesting, with troop types, concepts etc then I nearly died a thousand Barkerese deaths it became grim. So, if you would like a DBN style ECW then I can do it but I need to know more about ECW battlefield unit tactics, cos ECW is not my usual thing.
The questions I have to any ECW knowledgeable LAW member is: Were the battlefield infantry units all made up of a combination of pike & shot ? was there a fundamental tactical difference between the Cavalier Cavalry and the Roundhead Cavalry ? what types of artillery appeared on the major battlefields ? for a DBECW to work we must capture the spirit and caricature of a full ECW battle.
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Just discovered that Steven "casting couch" Segal also made a film called "The Patriot". Which I am also never going to watch because he's also a shit.
Last edited by BaronVonWreckedoften on Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Alex T wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:20 pm The questions I have to any ECW knowledgeable LAW member is: Were the battlefield infantry units all made up of a combination of pike & shot ? was there a fundamental tactical difference between the Cavalier Cavalry and the Roundhead Cavalry ? what types of artillery appeared on the major battlefields ? for a DBECW to work we must capture the spirit and caricature of a full ECW battle.
Timmo knows quite a lot more about this period than I do, but FWIW here are my views:-

1) P&S units were the most common type of battlefield infantry, but at various stages in the war, armies on both sides also formed units of all-shot, sometimes known as "commanded shot" (mostly dispersed amongst cavalry formations to "shoot them in" to the enemy), or "commanded out shot" which were large infantry formations of all musket-armed troops. These could be semi-permanent units (ie formed for a campaign), or ad-hoc separate units of shot and pike set up prior to a particular battle because of the nature of the ground, enemy strengths/weaknesses, etc. As with most ECW tactics, we know very little about what they actually did in action.

2)Traditionally, ECW rulesets have discriminated between Royalist and Roundhead horse, mainly because of their respective performances at Edgehill, right at the start of the war. However, (and this is one bit that Timmo feels quite strongly about), it now seems much more likely that the differences were much more nuanced, and could have been determined more by who their commander was (and his experiences of soldiering/tactical acumen), or how well disciplined/armed/trained they were. The Cavaliers weren't all nutters charging around everywhere, and the Roundheads weren't all tactically limited. The last sentence in my previous answer also applies here.

3) Artillery trains were remarkably small and - apart from pairs of very small calibre (1-2 pounders) battalion guns positioned between infantry battalia (which were very, very rare in the ECW) - DID NOT MOVE ONCE THE BATTLE STARTED. This was because moving the actual gun was tough, but having to move all the ammunition, powder barrels, water butts, tools, etc was even tougher. They didn't form "grand batteries" and they didn't undertake "bombardments" - not as we would understand them, not as Boney's boys would understand them, not even as Fred's/Purple's or Marlborough's lads would understand them. This was for several reasons, one being that the heavier guns were dispersed (typically one gun had at least 20 yards - yes, yards - of space); another was the lack of ammunition (typically, 20-40 rounds of shot and 10-20 of case, going by contemporary inventories - or about an hour's firing at two rounds per minute). Most battlefield guns would have been sakers - typically 5-9 pounders; anything bigger was rare and usually relegated to the siege train.

Hope that helps (a bit, at least!).
Alex T
Loose Virgin

Post by Alex T »

Thanks Baron VW, very useful. Do you know about the so called 'pistol cavalry' Mr Barker talks about. He has a quite strict separation with Parliament Cavalry being partially armoured 'pistol cavalry' and Royalists being Charging lightly armoured sword cavalry. IYO did Pistol Cavalry operate on the ECW battlefield and was there both types on both sides ?