Starbucks

For your Wargames Wittering
Purple
Grizzly Madam

Starbucks

Post by Purple »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=67G70toCARA

Looks a fun toy.
Would have preferred bigger fleet battle scale.

Was a great series until it got milked into a new wanky dimension like all successful American shows.
Norman D. Landings
Grizzly Madam

Re: Starbucks

Post by Norman D. Landings »

Purple
Grizzly Madam

Post by Purple »

No BSG 80! My eyes, my eyes!
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

Purple wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:39 pm Would have preferred bigger fleet battle scale.
Weren't most of the BSG dust ups fighter on fighter?

For big fleet battles you want Babylon 5 :)
tim.w
Jezebel

Post by tim.w »

Looks good but there were only ever two fighter types in BSG so I cant see much in the way of expansions.

I was a big fan in the early 00's and watched all the new ones on the huge DVD box set they did with the cylon on the front.

I wonder what BSG's crew would think about all the fracking protests these days?
Purple
Grizzly Madam

Post by Purple »

Paul wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:18 pm
Purple wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:39 pm Would have preferred bigger fleet battle scale.
Weren't most of the BSG dust ups fighter on fighter?

For big fleet battles you want Babylon 5 :)
Often but I remember lots of real beefy bust ups, especially in the TV movies and the spin off thing they did.
Yes, A lot of it was like carrier warfare with waves of fighters and things but they fired nukes off at each other, etc.
Even doing the cyclon war of earlier lore would have been cool.
But that’s just my opinion, I’ve always found aerial/space warfare is one of the few things that video games do much better/fun.

Really enjoyed BSG until it went super Mormon weird but most of these things have been ruined to me now after I heard some science bloke theorising that Space Combat wouldn’t really look anything like what we see in Sci-Fi, being that with the vast openness of space and the missile technology we have for locking on to things - ship to ship combat will more likely be lock on missiles fired on targets 1000s if not 100,000s miles away. 🤔
Quite interesting.
grizzlymc
Grizzly Madam

Post by grizzlymc »

I've never really "got" space warfare. Dogfighting is just crap physics, even fleet battles like 3d Jutlands are hard to envisage. And what are we fighting over? Invade a planet? Fine if they are a bunch of Zulus, but otherwise they have the resources of a planet, and you have what you can get by 1st class space mail. Cheaper to buy them.

Of course, Norm's space chimps are just doing it because they are evil little sods and we failed to make them extinct in the 21st century when we could.
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

I did some rules, after I first watched the new series, for classic BSG battles. Based on managing resources and Vipers etc... on Galactica during a 'raid'. I've got an unmade Monogram? kit of Galactica in the garage but that's as far as it got :(
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

grizzlymc wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:37 pm I've never really "got" space warfare. Dogfighting is just crap physics, even fleet battles like 3d Jutlands are hard to envisage. And what are we fighting over? Invade a planet? Fine if they are a bunch of Zulus, but otherwise they have the resources of a planet, and you have what you can get by 1st class space mail. Cheaper to buy them.

Of course, Norm's space chimps are just doing it because they are evil little sods and we failed to make them extinct in the 21st century when we could.
What does anyone ever fight for? Territory/resources and pride. If an alien race gets high on snorting ground up uranium but has exhausted their planets supplies wouldn't they look elsewhere? Plus they'd want to eliminate any nearby races likely to steal their stash.
We'd better hope the human race is space capable after it uses up the Earth or it's gonna be a cold, dark winter!
Norman D. Landings
Grizzly Madam

Post by Norman D. Landings »

grizzlymc wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:37 pm

Welcome to the fleet, Admiral.