ECW - just for arguments sake you understand

For your Wargames Wittering
valleyboy
Jezebel

ECW - just for arguments sake you understand

Post by valleyboy »

Just imagine that you have a friend, a theoretical friend I would add, who just happens to have some money set aside for a wargames project . Lets say for example this person somehow won this money at a game of something and its burning a hole in his pocket. Now lets pretend that this friend loves the look of the Empress ECW range and like a siren its calling to him, and has been calling to him for years. :wall:

Now this friend has not made any New year promises whatsoever :finger: and already has a set of rules that he's intended to use for 15mm armies but found that he didn't have enough figures but still has some guilt about this because he or she already has lots of projects on the go, loves painting but hardly ever plays a game

What would you say if this friend was not able to overcome this weakness and was likely to make a purchase from Empress soon....

What would you recommend in the way of general reading about the ECW?

Where would you point him towards uniform and painting resources?

What other figure manufacturers would you be recommending?

Would you be encouraging him to sell of his 15mm collection?

What other advice would you have for this friend?

I'm just asking you understand? Because I know this person who...... :oops:
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam

Re: ECW - just for arguments sake you understand

Post by Jeremy »

Following this with interest. Purely also for a friend of course!
Penda
Gaynor

Post by Penda »

I would recommend he buy more Landsknechts....
There is no point in being stupid if you don't show it!

www.talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk
www.talesfromrhanzlistan.blogspot.co.uk
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

I would recommend doing it in 6mm, the smaller scale really lets the mad cavalry off the leash.

If you want figures in the period, go 1672 from north star, they are truly beautiful.
garyp
PurpleBot

Post by garyp »

Just buy them! They are just sooooo lovely that you can figure what to do with them later. I bought some, just for fun, but they are just the best figures out there. I now have a couple of hundred.
Oh, and aren't we doing ECW at Ayton soon?
Why us? Cos we're 'ere lad, nobody else.
HMS Priapus
PurpleBot

Post by HMS Priapus »

Ah, ECW. One of my stalled projects from the first days of Army Painter dip. I thought the figures would practically paint themselves... Many hundreds of Warlord plastics, sadly neglected for the most part.
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

Arrrrrrggggggghhhht!
Etranger
Jezebel

Post by Etranger »

As it's only theoretical....

In 28mmm you're spoilt for choice, The Empress figures are lovely, & the TAG ones also look very nice. If only I had the budget. Sizewise I haven't seen them in the flesh. Redoubt are big figures, probably nearer 30mm & IMHO too big to go with the other ranges.

The Foundry range, although possibly a touch smaller, have some nice vignettes that the other companies don't make, they're Perry sculpts. The Perry's own figures match up well with them as do the Warlord plastic figures (& presumably the WL metal figures too, although I've only got the plastic ones). The Warlord plastics are good too, especially for rank and file figures, but then you need to assemble them which can be a pain.

Eureka have a nice Scots/Montrose Irish ECW range, compatible with Perry/Foundry/Warlord.

As to reading, it depends how detailed you want to be. The various Ospreys are useful primers but the uniform details in the older books (eg Peter Young's one) are somewhat dubious. The newer ones (By Keith Roberts IIRC who knows his stuff) are most useful. The old Hawthornwaite on the ECW is good, again except for uniform details. There are a number of decent recent general histories which cover most of the salient points.

A couple of handy websites: http://www.battlefieldstrust.com/resour ... -entrance/ for information about many of the key battles of the war(s) (three ECW, and the two Bishop's Wars, and the Anglo-Irish conflict). https://www.baccus6mm.com/PaintingGuides/ECW/ Pete Berry is an authority on the ECW & provides some useful basic uniform etc details.

Timmo is your man for the real nitty gritty of the uniforms etc.

Never sell the precious, which is why I have ECW in 1/300, 15mm and 28mm... :roll:
Last edited by Etranger on Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Purple
Grizzly Madam

Post by Purple »

Yes of course your friend should.
And your friend should probably buy us some tobecaise he sounds really nice and generous and probably has a tidy moustache.

For general reading, try books. You can get them from some shops.
Etranger
Jezebel

Post by Etranger »

There was a purple regiment you know, Lord Brooke's http://wiki.bcw-project.org/parliamenta ... oke-london An ancestor perhaps?