Jezebel

Re: DbECW development thread.

Post by tim.w »

What did you use figure wise?
Alex T
Loose Virgin

Post by Alex T »

I’m compiling Lists on any known Superior Infantry Regiments in both armies. Also Superior Cav Regiments. Any info would be greatfully appreciated with any back up supporting info.
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Both armies accumulated "veteran" units of horse and foot over the course of the war, but there were few units that could have been said to be more than "ordinary" in the first 12-18 months, and quite a lot would have been classified as poor. Most rule sets that I've seen generally allow a percentage/fraction of each arm to be classified as veteran from late 1643 onwards, rather than specific units; commanding officers and organisations changed so frequently, that it would be difficult to identify specific units as being consistently better. Be very wary of anything called "X's Lifeguard" - other than some very small horse units that actually were a personal bodyguard, it was just a title, and mainly gratuitous (The King's Life Guard of Foot was one such, recruited mainly from coal miners in Cheshire).

This website might help you; it is added to from time to time:-
https://wiki.bcw-project.org/start
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
Alex T
Loose Virgin

Post by Alex T »

Peeler and I have played 2 games now of the DBECW and the rules seem to be working well. The following is my Army Lists for the DBECW rules. This is for members perusal and comment (if you wish)
Army Lists
Each army should be made up of 18 Points. The CinC, Baggage and 1 Leader for every 6 combat units are FREE. All other units cost I Point. +0.5 Point for Superior Units and -0.5 Points for Inferior Units and Artillery.
The armies are split into 2 time periods, ‘Early War and Late War’. With more good troops for the Royalists in the Early War and more good troops for Parliament in the Late War. The following Quality Chart shows the amounts of Superior and Inferior troops any army can have at a given period. The quality of the remainder of the army is ‘average’. Each 18 point army can have up to 2 Artillery units and up to 2 Dragoon units and at least 2 units from each of the other 3 troop types.

(the original is a boxed chart which hasn't copied well, there are 3 troop types each with a (S) and a (I))
Early War
1642 -44
Cavaliers, Drilled Cavalry, Infantry
(S) (I) (S) (I) (S) (I)
Royalist
60% 25% 0 50% 10% 50%
Parliament
0 80% 0 50% 25% 25%

Late War
1645 -46
Cavaliers, Drilled Cavalry, Infantry
(S) (I) (S) (I) (S) (I)
Royalist
20% 30% 0 30% 10% 30%
Parliament
0 50% 50% 10% 50% 10%

(S) = Superior Class, up to a % of.
(I) = Inferior Class, at least a % of.

Identifying Troop Qualities
A recommended method of showing the difference in troop qualities is to have a unit with 2 flags for ‘Superior’ 1 flag for Average and no flag for ‘Inferior’.

Cavaliers
This type of mounted unit is amateur and cavalier in its nature. It had a casual attitude towards battlefield drill and tactics. However the Cavalier was generally well mounted, enthusiastic in the charge, a good rider and quick on the battlefield. Cavaliers have a great tendency to become ‘reckless’ after a successful charge. The ‘Inferior’ Cavalier types were less enthusiastic, not fully in support of the cause and keen on self-preservation. The ‘Superior’ types were very supportive of the cause, very enthusiastic and aggressive. Both sides had Cavalier type units, however only the Royalists can have SuperiorCavaliers.

Drilled Cavalry
This type of mounted unit is better drilled than the Cavalier with a more serious and professional attitude towards battlefield tactics. However this means that Drilled Cavalry manoeuvre more slowly on the battlefield than the Cavalier. They tended to be a little more cautious in the attack and often used their pistols in attack particularly against the infantry. Both sides had Drilled Cavalry types however only the Parliamentarians can have Superior Drilled Cavalry.
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

So superior is a maximum number, and inferior a minimum or can you just blanket average?
Alex T
Loose Virgin

Post by Alex T »

FreddBloggs wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:45 am So superior is a maximum number, and inferior a minimum or can you just blanket average?
Yes Fred, just as it says, superior is a maximum number, and inferior a minimum, the rest is average class..
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

Just checking on that, the formating did not make it clear.