Railway Track for 10mm Wargames - Suggestions?

For your Wargames Wittering
Etranger
Jezebel

Re: Railway Track for 10mm Wargames - Suggestions?

Post by Etranger »

Zenbadger wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:06 pm British N gauge is 1/148 scale or 2mm to the foot so isn't too far off, my model railway figures are not massively out of scale with my Pendraken WW2 stuff. In fact most of my old British and Germans star in a re-enactment event at the preservation society where my model railway is set. Kato Unitrack is ideal for wargames but chuffing expensive unless you can find odd bits on ebay. The beauty of it is that it comes moulded into a fairly realistic ballast base and is made for repeated assembly and disassembly. In Japan few people have room for a permanent layout and temporary layouts set up at work are common.
It's great but it's more expensive than Peco flexitrack and it is for modern track - concrete sleepers and all.
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

Zenbadger wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:06 pm British N gauge is 1/148 scale or 2mm to the foot
Sort of......British N Gauge uses two different scales, just to keep things easy! Locos, rolling stock, buildings etc.... are 1:148 but the actual track is still 1:160. :)
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

Same as OO and O gauge then.
Zenbadger
Gaynor

Post by Zenbadger »

All mainstream model railway gauges are wrong, it gives the rivet counters a reason to live.

My unitrack is wooden sleepered, not seen any concrete sleeper track but I need some now.
Purple
Grizzly Madam

Post by Purple »

Real gamers Scratchbuild.

You should be making 17feet of track from scorching old sprues with a homemade aerosol flamethrower then pop some banana oil on it.

You can sort any wasps in the walls whilst your at it.
grizzlymc
Grizzly Madam

Post by grizzlymc »

Probably remove unwanted hair too.

Why are track gauges wrong? I mean, you have a scale and you make the track that wide, or you make the track that wide and calculate a scale. Is there some subtlety that I fail to divine?
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

Gauge was done for HO O and N using continental models, but UK prototypes were smaller, so UK outline were made a bit bigger but using the same track gauge, so O uk is 1/43 but continental is 1/48. It is less confusing than sizes in wargames, but not much.
RMD
Jezebel

Post by RMD »

I blame myself for starting this thread and encouraging railway-modelling weirdos to out themselves... (Everyone needs someone to look down on - doubly so if you work for the railway)
Etranger
Jezebel

Post by Etranger »

RMD wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:41 am I blame myself for starting this thread and encouraging railway-modelling weirdos to out themselves... (Everyone needs someone to look down on - doubly so if you work for the railway)
Railway modellers have trainspotters to look down on too. There's a hierarchy for everything.
grizzlymc
Grizzly Madam

Post by grizzlymc »

FreddBloggs wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:59 pm Gauge was done for HO O and N using continental models, but UK prototypes were smaller, so UK outline were made a bit bigger but using the same track gauge, so O uk is 1/43 but continental is 1/48. It is less confusing than sizes in wargames, but not much.
Could you do that again with subtitles? This sounds like the drift from 25mm to 28mm.