The EKKA Show Day game

For your Wargames Wittering
ochoin
Gaynor

The EKKA Show Day game

Post by ochoin »

As all of you are undoubtedly aware, Friday will be a public holiday for the EKKA.....though it is not happening thanks to Covid.

This presents an opportunity for a SYW game. At least two of my pals have signed on. My thought is Lobositz.

What I intend is to NOT announce which battle it is as the foundation of the real battle was that Frederick thought he was attacking a rear guard until the fog lifted to reveal the entire Austrian army.

So, I command the Austrians, and give the Prussians the following orders:
Your mission is to defeat the Austrian rear guard as quickly as possible in order to cross the Elbe River and defeat the Austrians.

At some stage, the fog will lift & I will put the bulk of the Austrians in their historical positions, in view of the no doubt surprised Prussians.

The Austrians will be tasked to: defeat the Prussians if possible & if not to withdraw in good order.

This seems a fair way of simulating Fred. the G's surprise?

I have been leisurely painting additional Austrians, having finished 2 of 4 squadrons of cuirassiers & one of three battalions of infantry. I doubt I'll get much more finished for the game so I may have to use some of my French.

donald
grizzlymc
Grizzly Madam

Re: The EKKA Show Day game

Post by grizzlymc »

Sounds great! Froggies Ostriches, they are all the same to most of us.
ochoin
Gaynor

Re: The EKKA Show Day game

Post by ochoin »

I am such a cunning rogue!

I let my pals choose which army they wanted to command. Team Prussia already think it'll be a straight forward "drive off the rear guard" game in which they'll heavily outnumber their enemy. Boy, will they be surprised!

Team Austria now know it's Lobositz & that I (as umpire) will keep 70% of their army off table....until "the mist clears".

I'll have Victory Conditions written out for them but the Austrians will win a "Minor Victory" if they delay the Prussians as long as possible, blood their noses & withdraw in good order. IE the actual outcome.

Although I prefer to take a side, I've decided to umpire as this is the only way you can duplicate the surprise factor & not make it look as if I'm stacking the cards in my favour. Of course, once the game begins, I will be strictly neutral & just facilitate the game play. I'm sure my pals will enjoy the battle.

donald