Painting fur

For your Wargames Wittering
ochoin
Gaynor

Painting fur

Post by ochoin »

I've prepped a "unit" of Newline Goths who will be part of my Late Romans force.

Several of these Foederati are wearing fur upper garments. I'd imagine bear, wolf?

Any tips on painting this? I mainly use Vallejo paints.

donald

:exgriz:
grizzlymc
Grizzly Madam

Re: Painting fur

Post by grizzlymc »

You'll ruin the fur. Look for pics, my guess is basecoat with light pale dry brush.
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

If you can be bothered, you could add a bit of texture by gently scoring the 'fur' with a scalpel (or similar) in the direction of the fur. Paint whatever colour you fancy. Then a thin dark wash. Then a contrasting light drybrush.

E
grizzlymc
Grizzly Madam

Post by grizzlymc »

But a really light highlight. If you look at photos of animals and women with fur coats, the sheen is negligible.
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

Anything natural like wood or fur gets the contrast paint treatment from me now. The brown contrast paints are particularly good although, like all the range be careful of variations in intensity!
Peeler
Grizzly Madam

Post by Peeler »

What about just skinning a small part of a bear - or something equally furry but smaller & less dangerous - and glueing that on?
Etranger
Jezebel

Post by Etranger »

Peeler wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:33 pm What about just skinning a small part of a bear - or something equally furry but smaller & less dangerous - and glueing that on?
Ochoin's in Oz, everything is dangerous!
grizzlymc
Grizzly Madam

Post by grizzlymc »

A bilby?
Norman D. Landings
Grizzly Madam

Post by Norman D. Landings »

I'm with the panda: contrast paints are great for fur.
I exaggerate the effect by either inkwashing before the CP (so the dark bits go even darker) or dry brushing white before CP (so the light bits are even lighter).
ochoin
Gaynor

Post by ochoin »

Paul wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:57 pm Anything natural like wood or fur gets the contrast paint treatment from me now. The brown contrast paints are particularly good although, like all the range be careful of variations in intensity!
So do I have to go through the process of painting the fur with the base coat (grey seer?) then putting on a contrast colour eg nazdrag yellow?

donald