Citadel Contrast Paints

For your Wargames Wittering
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Citadel Contrast Paints

Post by Essex Boy »

These look interesting.

https://spikeybits.com/2019/05/citadel- ... ealed.html

A one coat, speed painting gift to wargamers with a huge lead pile? I wonder how this will pan out.

Iain
grizzlymc
Grizzly Madam

Re: Citadel Contrast Paints

Post by grizzlymc »

Is this like tartan paint? Just brush it on and it separates to put the right colours in each spot?
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

I'd been looking at these. They seem to be a 'heavy' liquid pigment in a resin medium that flows more like a wash. I might try some.
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

At 4 quid a bottle, and need there thinning medium as well, I shall pass until I can try them. Especially given gw's record on paint pots and lifespan.
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

FreddBloggs wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:49 pm At 4 quid a bottle, and need there thinning medium as well, I shall pass until I can try them. Especially given gw's record on paint pots and lifespan.
I saw that Wayland are doing a 15% discount and thought 'I'll try some of them'. But then I came to the same conclusion as you. I may get a couple or three to try out before taking the plunge.

E
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

GW have a £35 offer at the moment which gets you ten paints of your choice from across the ranges. You are limited to taking a certain quantity from each range, but still not a bad deal!
levied troop
Grizzly Madam

Post by levied troop »

So a paint that covers in one coat? I’m not sure I’m understanding this, what’s new about it?
I get lockdown, but I get up again.
Purple
Grizzly Madam

Post by Purple »

Zenbadger
Gaynor

Post by Zenbadger »

I tried them today, and ordered quite a few for next week. They are a highly pigmented wash and they can be thinned with water to some extent, the medium will make a better job though. They are more like watercolours, you can layer them up but you can't put a light colour over dark. The reds and yellows are simply gorgeous, Spartans are going to be a doddle, just wash all over with flesh and then pick out the tunic with one of the reds. A black wash for the hair, brown for belts and spears and then paint the bronze using conventional techniques, job done in 15 mins plus drying time. I was impressed but they won't replace normal painting, they just make the job a bit quicker.
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

That's helpful, ZB, ta.

E