Where can I get 28mm WW2-era pack mules?

For your Wargames Wittering
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Re: Where can I get 28mm WW2-era pack mules?

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

RMD wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:08 am If you can't get pack mules, how about pack elephants? They were fairly commonly used by Japanese forces. I've seen the odd mountain artillery pack elephant in colonial ranges, but can't think of one offhand. Foundry did a transport elephant and an artillery-towing elephant for the Indian Mutiny that should be easy to convert.
Again, Brigade Games do an elephant with a Japanese mahout, that is obviously meant to be pulling something - and only US$13.00 which sounds good value! Again, still waiting to hear back from North Star as to whether they still sell BG stuff.
bangorstu wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:47 pm Warlord do Chindit mule teams... you'd have to swap the human element around obviously.....
Thanks. I did look at them as a last resort - £4 a mule is a bit steep, especially as I was hoping to get two on each JOP!
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
RMD
Jezebel

Post by RMD »

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:17 pm
RMD wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:08 am If you can't get pack mules, how about pack elephants? They were fairly commonly used by Japanese forces. I've seen the odd mountain artillery pack elephant in colonial ranges, but can't think of one offhand. Foundry did a transport elephant and an artillery-towing elephant for the Indian Mutiny that should be easy to convert.
Again, Brigade Games do an elephant with a Japanese mahout, that is obviously meant to be pulling something - and only US$13.00 which sounds good value! Again, still waiting to hear back from North Star as to whether they still sell BG stuff.
That's interesting. I have seen photos of them with local mahouts (Burmese, wearing the usual Burmese bush-hat).
valleyboy
Jezebel

Post by valleyboy »

Err why does it matter what hat an elephant wears? I've heard about Napoleonic button counters but now Elephant hat aficionados - that is getting ridiculous :fp:
Buff Orpington
Grizzly Madam

Post by Buff Orpington »

Now you're being silly.
How is the elephant going to get into the Royal Enclosure at Ascot it it isn't wearing a suitable hat?
I know when to go out
I know when to stay in
Get things done
RMD
Jezebel

Post by RMD »

Attention to detail, gentlemen! You'll be telling me next that your pack-mules aren't wearing straw hats.
grizzlymc
Grizzly Madam

Post by grizzlymc »

With holes cut in them to poke the ears through.
RMD
Jezebel

Post by RMD »

grizzlymc wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:41 am With holes cut in them to poke the ears through.
Absolutely! But not carrots on sticks. That would be silly.
Neanderthal
First Base

Post by Neanderthal »

RMD wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:56 am
grizzlymc wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:41 am With holes cut in them to poke the ears through.
Absolutely! But not carrots on sticks. That would be silly.

Spoilsport! Haven't you seen the Warlord Napoleonic mule train. If Warlord make it then it must be authentic.