L. Roman watch tower

For your gaming pictures & links.
ochoin
Gaynor

L. Roman watch tower

Post by ochoin »

I think period-specific terrain is important for a wargame. With a series of Late-Roman against Saxon Dark Age games coming up, I finally put the finish touches to this terrain item:

donald
Last edited by ochoin on Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Re: L. Roman watch tower

Post by Essex Boy »

That's very splendid indeed, Donald.
Penda
Gaynor

Post by Penda »

That is a nice piece of terrain!
There is no point in being stupid if you don't show it!

www.talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk
www.talesfromrhanzlistan.blogspot.co.uk
World2dave
Jezebel

Post by World2dave »

Excellent model!
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

When I saw the thread title, I thought Norman had adopted a new screen name!

Can we take it that this is entirely scratch-built? If so, double kudos to you (the other one being for the painting).
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
ochoin
Gaynor

Post by ochoin »

I designed the tower & took it, several years ago, to a little chap I met at a train show whose dad had bought him a laser cutter. He produced a ‘flat pack’ that was a real trial to assemble. That staircase being particularly challenging.

I was not thrilled by the end product & it kicked around my “to do” pile. I decided to modify it by adding bits (I think you can see some of the match sticks & scribed lines etc I added) to give it a more 3D feel. After I painted it, I was enthused enough to build the base. I’ve often used medium density foam (most of my hills) but this is actually the first time I have used polystyrene as I did not have any of the other for the earthen ramparts.

Horrible stuff to work with ( the mess!!!) but the Terrain Tutor gave me the necessary hints to make it look OK & be reasonably solid. I am rather proud of the gate (which has a peep-hole) which was made from coffee stirrers etc.

I was going to add a bamboo skewer palisade but I decided that was overkill. After all, the couple of troops manning it would take to their heels if they saw a large enemy force approaching. The ramparts would keep out the odd thief etc & provide the minimum security needed.

donald
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

It looks very nice and similar to a lot of the artists reconstructions of Late Roman/Early Post Roman defences. I'd go for the pallisade if there was enough room for figures to still stand behind it and at the same time consider splitting the skewers to 'clad' the 'tongue and groove' around the platform so it all ties in?

The Terrain Tutor and Lukes APS are my go to's on YouTube even just for a bit of something interesting to pass the time. TT is excellent on flocking gaming pieces, Lukes terrain has become very realistic and his static grass work is superb!
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

ochoin wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:29 pm I was going to add a bamboo skewer palisade but I decided that was overkill. After all, the couple of troops manning it would take to their heels if they saw a large enemy force approaching.
Also, from a tactical point of view, a palisade atop the bank would give attackers something to shelter behind whilst they "sniped" at the folk in the tower.
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.