The Search for Captain nDuna: An Area X story.

Paul
Grizzly Madam

The Search for Captain nDuna: An Area X story.

Post by Paul »

This is a solo game I played out in an hour or so today.
I'd been looking for ideas to get more out of the 28mm post-war African figures that I have been painting up for various games hosted by Tim W.
I was playing around with some new rules and hit on this idea.
I've stolen the idea of using clue markers to drive a scenario from Rangers of Shadow Deep but otherwise the rules are my own, for better or worse :D

The Search for Captain nDuna
Captain nDuna, a veteran of the insurgent wars in Rhodeleland, has gone missing, with all of his platoon, whilst on a routine patrol through the bush.
He has been gone for a week and is such an icon for the Rhodies that the army has organised a dozen squads to search the villages in the area for any signs of what might have happened to him.
One such squad, Sgt. Martin and Riflemen Smith, Grotius, Walley and Todd find themselves in a tiny, apparently deserted, village 20 miles from any sort of civilisation.

The Village

The Searchers

As soon as they'd de bussed the squad got the unwanted attention of not one but two local militia, bad news, for any idea of stealth!

One of the soldiers was gunned down by the Militiamen but they themselves paid the Ultimate cost.

However whilst Rifleman Grotius stood over the body of his squadmate desperately seeing if he could help, something strange appeared out of the bush behind him....

...and raced up behind whilst his attention was elsewhere! (Even worse the token shows that he has emptied a full clip dealing with the Militiamen)

Luckily whilst Grotius was tending to his fallen comrade Sgt. Martin was more aware and hit the creature from the far side of the landrover, with several well placed rounds. The body spraying green "blood" as it fell dead.

Whilst the corrupted hound fell to the ground though a shambling image of a half man stumbled into the scene. Dripping with a milky sap and with long fleshy tenacles, it was Grotius' turn to act.
Slamming a new clip into his SLR he kept pulling the trigger until the gun clicked empty.

The search for clues of the whereabouts of Captain nDuna continued.

"What the hell is this?" Wonders Sgt Martin.

Finally Sgt Martin and Rifleman Todd stumble across a bloated, sweating corpse. Nauseated by the unearthly stench coming from it, that seemed to repel rather than attract flies, a close inspection confirmed that it was what remained of Captain nDuna.

Eager to get news back to their unit and with the radio offering up nothing but static the squad decided it was time to go.
The local Militia had other ideas though.

Three Militiamen came running into the village square and a vicious firefight ensued. One of the locals fell but so did Sgt Martin, killed by a shirtless Militiaman who stood in the square apparently invulnerable to bullets.

Eventually dragged back into the undergrowth and out of the line of fire from the soldiers this shirtless "superman" would soon discover that, whilst bullets seemed unable to hurt him, tentacles certainly could!

The three remaining Rhodeleland soldiers used this hiatus to make a rapid escape before they encountered any further horrors. Sprinting for the Landrover, they made it just in time and sped off down the track away from the village, not sure if the compatriots they were leaving would become food or abominations.
Last edited by Paul on Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Count Belisarius
Grizzly Madam

Re: The Search for Captain nDuna: An Area X story.

Post by Count Belisarius »

That's excellent!
goat major
Grizzly Madam

Re: The Search for Captain nDuna: An Area X story.

Post by goat major »

Thats great Paul !
Goaty bloggy thing http://goatmajor.org.uk
Goaty twitty thing http://www.twitter.com/GoatMajor