Wanted: WW2 German le FH 18 Howitzer and Crew+ gun tractor

For trading your quality goods
ochoin
Gaynor

Wanted: WW2 German le FH 18 Howitzer and Crew+ gun tractor

Post by ochoin »

As the title says.....in 20mm - 1/72. Plastic or metal. Painted or unpainted.
I need it to complete a battery.

donald
Etranger
Jezebel

Re: Wanted: WW2 German le FH 18 Howitzer and Crew+ gun tractor

Post by Etranger »

Frontline Hobbies have the 1/87 Preiser horsedrawn model at a reasonable (for Preiser!) price. 1/87 though. https://www.frontlinehobbies.com.au/pre ... d-howitzer Apparently there's also an Ace Model kit too. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/26435484990 ... 1&mkcid=28

Actually I might have a couple of metal ones, but they're currently in the storage locker. I can have a look in the next couple of days. There's probably some crew and suitable motive power too.
ochoin
Gaynor

Post by ochoin »

That'd be nice.
You can, of course, get all 3 components from 3 different sources online but that means 3 lots of P&P for 3 small sales.

& 1/87 is too small for my taste & I don't want horse drawn.

donald
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

ochoin wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:13 pm You can, of course, get all 3 components from 3 different sources online but that means 3 lots of P&P for 3 small sales.
It also means 3 different interpretations of 20mm/1:72, which can sneak into the realms of "awkward".

A propos the horse-drawn option, am I right in thinking that BEF personnel captured before they got back to Dunkirk noticed that many of the German gun- and wagon-teams passing them on the road contained horses bearing the WD arrowhead, as the Germans had snapped up many of the surplus gee-gees discarded when the British Army mechanised in the mid-/late-1930s?
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
Etranger
Jezebel

Post by Etranger »

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:15 am
ochoin wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:13 pm You can, of course, get all 3 components from 3 different sources online but that means 3 lots of P&P for 3 small sales.
It also means 3 different interpretations of 20mm/1:72, which can sneak into the realms of "awkward".

A propos the horse-drawn option, am I right in thinking that BEF personnel captured before they got back to Dunkirk noticed that many of the German gun- and wagon-teams passing them on the road contained horses bearing the WD arrowhead, as the Germans had snapped up many of the surplus gee-gees discarded when the British Army mechanised in the mid-/late-1930s?
I've seen that story too, Presumably there's some truth behind it but the artillery was largely motorised well before the war & most cavalry had mechanised.
tim.w
Jezebel

Post by tim.w »

Early war miniatures do the gun. I have one. Not sure if they do the limbers/horses?
ochoin
Gaynor

Post by ochoin »

The good ET has helped me out with this lacunae in my German forces.
Thanks everyone for the advice.

donald
grizzlymc
Grizzly Madam

Post by grizzlymc »

I think most of the horse transport was stuff like infantry guns and second line transport, the latter through to the end of the war. But I have seen photos of divisional field artillery with horses and limbers on the Russian Front. Field kitchens also seem to have been horse drawn, at least in infantry units.
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

The TOE of a German infantry division - even late into the war - included about 2,500 horses and a battalion of over 400 men to look after them.
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
grizzlymc
Grizzly Madam

Post by grizzlymc »

That's a few kitchens and ammo wagons, but also all the stuff that Churchill found so mystifying about British MT.

I've also seen your reference to recycled British Army horses at Dunkirk.

Hate them, they drop dead at the drop of a hat, require enormous maintenance and eat their carrying capacity in fodder in a few days.