42mm and 54mm figures

For your Wargames Wittering
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

42mm and 54mm figures

Post by FreddBloggs »

I am seeing people being attracted to these bigger figures (indeed an attraction myself) and I was wondering if others can explain what attracts them as well for me.
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Re: 42mm and 54mm figures

Post by Essex Boy »

42mm for me rather than 54mm.

I'm rather taken by the heft of the figures. And to rarity, which takes me back to me Airfix days of making do. And because of the toy soldier style. And because, at the moment at least, the games are firmly planted in the 'just for fun' camp.

Iain
tim.w
Jezebel

Post by tim.w »

Lots of pros. 54's look fab as a wargame. Myself and Tim H have done many games over the years, check back through the photos of past Aytons. Some of my favourites have been ACW and WWII Far East were great and Tim H's AWI painted to collectors quality are just stunning.

42mm can be based as 28mm but have a lot more presence on the table when using small 6 and 12 man units for A Gentlemans War. I dont have many yet but will be adding to the few I have soon.
Tim Hall
Gaynor

Post by Tim Hall »

Fredd, I always loved toy soldiers as a boy, then moved on to wargames (25 and 28 mm) 'cos that's what all the cool kids were doing, toy soldiers became a lot naff and I was very pretentious about the whole thing. Then in 2004 I went to the London Toy Soldier show and fell in love with them all over again. Also, another big factor, my eyesight is not what it was and I find painting the smaller scales a lot harder. But in a nutshell, I am collecting, converting and painting the sorts of toy soldiers I had in my mind's eye as a kid, and now I have the experience, skills and budget to do them justice. Plus they look awesome when arrayed on a battlefield. And shiny toy soldiers, be they 42mm or 54mm are just a joy to play with and look at.
Rules? You ask me what rules do I use. No, I don't do rules.
grizzlymc
Grizzly Madam

Post by grizzlymc »

Yes, for many of us it is a childhood thing. Not that I would abandon COTOTs
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

I remember timpo knights and cowboys as a kid and the odd Britains, but toy soldiers to me were airfix polythene ww2s in 54mm/1,32.
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

FreddBloggs wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 7:53 am I remember timpo knights and cowboys as a kid and the odd Britains, but toy soldiers to me were airfix polythene ww2s in 54mm/1,32.
Blimey! You must be the same generation as Purps and Jamie?

E
World2dave
Jezebel

Post by World2dave »

Same here, we had nary 2 farthings to rub together and a box of Airfix figures was an awesome birthday present. I do like the look of 42mms now, but it's more aesthetic appreciation (and, literally, a bit of the 'ooh shiny!' effect) than personal nostalgia for me.
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Jeremy »

In SA, Britons were only for the posh nobs (given exchange rate and shipping). 1/72nd and 1/76th Matchbox from when I was little ‘un
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

Essex Boy wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 9:20 am
FreddBloggs wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 7:53 am I remember timpo knights and cowboys as a kid and the odd Britains, but toy soldiers to me were airfix polythene ww2s in 54mm/1,32.
Blimey! You must be the same generation as Purps and Jamie?

E
Born in 1966.