Grizzly Madam

Oops!

Post by Jeremy »

Etranger
Jezebel

Re: Oops!

Post by Etranger »

:lol:

The StG 44 was an 'inspiration' for the AK, so it seems appropriate.
tim.w
Jezebel

Post by tim.w »

"Look darling, I'm a sculptor, I just googled assault rifle, how was I to know?"
Wg Cdr Luddite
PurpleBot

Post by Wg Cdr Luddite »

I think it is nice that this cock-up has exposed the Soviet lie that they invented the AK-47. Now people can look at the fact that Hugo Schmiesser and 16 other Nazi arms designers were forced to work for them at factory number 74 from October 1945 until 1952.
Norman D. Landings
Grizzly Madam

Post by Norman D. Landings »

Lies, plural.

The Soviet Union and subsequent Russian regimes have retconned the story of the AK's invention several times.
In WWII, when they were looking for 'Heroes of the Soviet Union', they held Mikhail K. up as an exemplar.
Post war, when it didn't pay to be too prominent or popular, they rewrote the AK story as a 'design by committee' story of obedient collectivism.
When the most pressing issue became that of selling the damn things, they rewrote the story in corporate business-speak: a tale of identifying market gaps and enabling firearm-centric solutions.

Mikhael K.s continued success relied on one thing: he was always content to toe the party line and never got touchy when his contribution was minimized.
So - unlike many of his contemporaries - he stayed the course.
(Well done, that man.)

Very good book on the AK story: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gun-Story-C-J- ... 0141020636
tim.w
Jezebel

Post by tim.w »

Mikhael K.s continued success relied on one thing: he was always content to toe the party line and never got touchy when his contribution was minimized.
So - unlike many of his contemporaries - he stayed the course.
(Well done, that man.)

this is why I still have a job, not a bad plan!