Individually mounted figures

For your Wargames Wittering
ochoin
Gaynor

Individually mounted figures

Post by ochoin »

These, of course, are the ultimate in 'Old School' - they're what HG wells used.

They have several benefits - flexibility being one - but are also difficult in many ways.
Moving several hundred figures, one at a time, is both tedious & time consuming. That's why movement trays were developed.

These, however, have their problems. After a large AZW game, sorting through the numerous Zulu casualties to ascertain which regiment/movement tray each individual figure belonged to, is a chore.

You also get the phenomena of "shaky figures" where, say, 20 figures sit on a large tray none too securely and any sudden lurch when you're moving the tray results in an avalanche of loose figures.

I may have solved this one. A small blob of blue tac on the underside of the individual base allows a more secure attachment to the movement base. If you remove the figure, as a casualty, a quick squeeze of the blob back into a ball, as you replace the figure at game's end restores this attachment.

This certainly works short term as I believe blue tac to be eternally indestructible, should work long term too.

donald
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Re: Individually mounted figures

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
ochoin
Gaynor

Post by ochoin »

I do use base & movement trays to differentiate between troop types - notably with Late Antiquity.

You'll notice light cavalry with oval bases, heavy with large round, heavy infantry on rectangular movement trays & skirmishers on irregular trays.

This helps differentiate some of the vital differences in units in 'War & Conquest'.

donald
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

I'm afraid that, for me, they will always be "bloke with a spear" and "bloke with a spear, on a horse". Lovely collection, though, and I am always glad to see the pleasure a collection gives to a fellow-wargamer.

Compliments of the season, young Donald.
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:16 pm I'm afraid that, for me, they will always be "bloke with a spear" and "bloke with a spear, on a horse". Lovely collection, though, and I am always glad to see the pleasure a collection gives to a fellow-wargamer.

Compliments of the season, young Donald.
Who's young Donald?
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

I like the idea of individually based figures and I've experimented quite a bit with sabots but, the toys nearly always end up based in multiples. In the olden days, units would have multiples of three or four figures with a few bases of ones and twos for casualty removal. Even that looks messy to me now, and I much prefer units to look like units until they get removed completely...........i.e. casualty markers for casualties.

E
ochoin
Gaynor

Post by ochoin »

Essex Boy wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:03 pm
Who's young Donald?
You be the judge:

ochoin
Gaynor

Post by ochoin »

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:16 pm I'm afraid that, for me, they will always be "bloke with a spear" and "bloke with a spear, on a horse".
After 5 games, our slightly dumbed down version of 'War & Conquest' looks like being my favourite rule set.

On a complexity level, it's maybe 2 out of 5. The challenge comes with tactics - particularly managing the various troop types. How does a Roman commander manage those masses of barbarian horse archers? Should he use legionary vexillations with 50 % archers or just go with all heavy infantry? And the Strategic Intervention Points - when to use this finite resource?

And we haven't even moved into interesting scenario play yet.

donald
Neanderthal
First Base

Post by Neanderthal »

Who is young Donald?
Obviously the cameraman.
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

:clappy: :clappy: :clappy: