Re: A Fate Worse than Death?

Post by Essex Boy »

Git
Penda
Gaynor

Post by Penda »

My pleasure. Mind you don't slip....
There is no point in being stupid if you don't show it!

www.talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk
www.talesfromrhanzlistan.blogspot.co.uk
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

You've made those look a lot better than I remember them, albeit only as "raw" figures. I think that these were done by the second sculptor of this range, after the first - and best - went to work elsewhere; the third sculptor was a big improvement on the second, though not quite as good as the first. I believe they are now(?) on number four.
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
Penda
Gaynor

Post by Penda »

The biggest issue I had with some Redoubt Enterprises F&IW figures in the past was the quality of some of the castings, they clearly showed that the molds needed remaking. More recently the figures I've bought have been, on the whole, cleaner castings. The issues have been no more annoying than on Perry Miniatures for example. I find that the figures' style suits what modest ability I have with the brush alongside hand and eye issues. The Redoubt Enterprises figures are very compatible size wise with Galloping Major and the North Star figures in their Muskets & Tomahawks range.

BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Penda wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:12 am The issues have been no more annoying than on Perry Miniatures for example.
Have to say I'm not aware of Perry ranges being as variable in size as the Redoubt F&IW stuff.

I bought a complete set of all the Indians made by Sculptor #1 - they are a good match for Galloping Major (albeit that range didn't actually exist at the time) in terms of height, but perhaps not in heft. Those Regulars are definitely getting their roast beef ration each day! The guy who did the Indians also started off the civilians - there are some lovely figures (a chap moving away whilst half-turned and firing at a pursuing foe is fantastic, but there are also a few that are in the "huge village idiot" class.
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
Penda
Gaynor

Post by Penda »

I wasn't referring so much to size as to flash/vent runs and lumps under bases, not to mention the bl**dy kaypok Perry Miniatures use in packing! The hefty of Redoubt/Galloping Major/Crusader helps my failing painting ability to keep on going. Had no knowledge of different sculptors over years. Most of my early figures were freebies for review in Wargames Illustrated.