Anyone trying out new rules?

For your Wargames Wittering
Buff Orpington
Grizzly Madam

Anyone trying out new rules?

Post by Buff Orpington »

We gave Otherworld a run out tonight. I don't think any of use were overly impressed. The bar room brawl was highly entertaining but once one of my party made it to the weapons chest it was pretty much game over. If we had played another turn I would have had 3 out of my four fighters carrying weapons while no-one else had any.
The other scenario went the other way. Half of my party was of table and needed a minimum of 9 on 2D6 to get any one. It didn't happen and I got ripped to pieces.
I know when to go out
I know when to stay in
Get things done
tim.w
Jezebel

Re: Anyone trying out new rules?

Post by tim.w »

My wife is testing new rules of property ownership. She took my last Dairy Milk I had hidden in the breadbin and had the barefaced cheek to offer me some. "That's my bloody chocolate you theiving cow!" I remonstrated, to wit she retorted with a shrug. I threatened to inform the police but this was met with nonchalence. Justice will come at Slimmingworld weigh in.

Been playing One Hour Wargames a bit, have found them a good template to add in other rules to make a decent game.

There is a brand new Osprey title out for smallish skirmishes in the Crusades period, which I'm eagerly waiting for. Though I'm not sure it will top Lion Rampant, though the numbers of figures should be less, which might be good for games at home.

Tried Star Wars Armada at the club and was quite impressed. I'd say its a more involved wargame than the X-Wing skirmish game. I'm holding out for the new Star Wars Miniatures game though.
levied troop
Grizzly Madam

Post by levied troop »

Buff- that sounds like a problem with balance in the scenarios. What were the rules like? I was getting interested in them as I wanted a D&D-stylee set.
I get lockdown, but I get up again.
Wg Cdr Luddite
PurpleBot

Post by Wg Cdr Luddite »

I considered this question very carefully and the anwer is no; not for about ten years now. I still fiddle about writing my own stuff but don't buy commercial sets anymore. Am I unusual ?
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Jeremy »

levied troop wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:29 am Buff- that sounds like a problem with balance in the scenarios. What were the rules like? I was getting interested in them as I wanted a D&D-stylee set.
From memory they work on the 7TV which I quite enjoy
grizzlymc
Grizzly Madam

Post by grizzlymc »

Wg Cdr Luddite wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:32 am I considered this question very carefully and the anwer is no; not for about ten years now. I still fiddle about writing my own stuff but don't buy commercial sets anymore. Am I unusual ?
Yes, serious wargamers buy rules and figures at a one stop shop and build uber armies!

Me, I play games with toy soldiers and I try to make those games resemble something. Every set of rues leaves me thinking "If I could only tweak XXXXX, they would work so much better." So I tweak and tweak to the point where the rules are "Researched" rather than cribbed. And of course, they are never a finished product.
Buff Orpington
Grizzly Madam

Post by Buff Orpington »

levied troop wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:29 am Buff- that sounds like a problem with balance in the scenarios. What were the rules like? I was getting interested in them as I wanted a D&D-stylee set.
I imagine that more familiarity would help but they didn't seem to have some things which we expected. It seems that there is no bonus for ganging up on an opponent so I had to make separate attacks and it took three cultists to kill a single fire beetle. There were some fun moments such as me gaining control of a giant rat and using it to attack the Minotaur, sadly without effect.
The scenarios were out of the book. The bar room brawl was a victory for tactical brilliance, while the other two were busy punching each others lights out I went for the swords. When they realised that only one player had any weapons and he was between them and the armoury they decided to settle down. The other one was just a foregone conclusion, as my zombies & skels were off table and I had a 1 in 6 chance of summoning them each turn I was quickly overwhelmed, undead are much more effective than cultists with daggers.
Our GM spent a lot of time flicking backwards & forwards through the book and didn't feel that it was very well laid out. We may give it another go but I think the big appeal is the use of D&D terms & classes so people who never played that might not get enthralled with it.
I know when to go out
I know when to stay in
Get things done
Ilkley Old School
PurpleBot

Post by Ilkley Old School »

I am going to use the free Muskets and Marshals Napoleonic rules from here

http://hintonhunt.blogspot.co.uk/p/musk ... s.html?m=1

They look to be my style of gaming.
Subedai
Fallen Woman

Post by Subedai »

The last set of commercial rules I bought was a copy of Impetus Ancients about two and half years ago and still yet to use them in a game. Although having shedloads of 6mm armies and filing cabinets full of rules going back to WRG 3rd Edition I now tend to concentrate on periods I enjoy and write my own. However, saying that I quite like Fine and Furry ACW set (1st Edition...has there been any more?).

MickS
MickS
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Jeremy »

Subs, both are great sets.

Fire and Fury wrote a regimental set that weren’t as great as the originals.