Contrast Paints

For your Wargames Wittering
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Re: Contrast Paints

Post by FreddBloggs »

Other than white or metallic or the odd spot colour, I only use contrasts these days. They suit my style.
valleyboy
Jezebel

Post by valleyboy »

Interesting to see but still requires precise application of paint and I'm not sure would speed up the process of completing a figure
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

Count Belisarius wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:19 am They look quite good but the best effects I've seen seem to take as much effort as using normal paint...
It depends what you're after and which ones you're using. Not all contrast paints are created equal and I remember you having trouble with the original greens, which frankly are awful.
A simple zenithal highlight and one coat of the better contrasts get's you a result that is as quick if not quicker than basecoating and much better looking. But, like all paints, they need to be used in a certain way and whilst you can highlight, shadow and add all the fancy techniques they don't generally need it for wargames level paintjob.
DougM
PurpleBot

Post by DougM »

I confess, I am using Contrast paints more and more. As has been said, the effectiveness varies across the range and i haven't tried any of the 'new' colours. But I used them for my Mutiny figures, and have done some test paints of WW2 stuff that I am very happy with.

FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

The new mid/dark blue is good as is the new red.
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

FreddBloggs wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:47 pm The new mid/dark blue is good as is the new red.
Both of the new yellows are probably the best yellow paints i've come across! There are a couple of the new paints that aren't really contrast paints...the black springs to mind. But those ones still have their uses.
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

Not needed to try the yellows yet, but the red is great for British redcoats and the blue is a good french colour.