Re: Favourite Airfix Figures

Post by HMS Priapus »

Steve. Hands down my favorite.
ochoin
Gaynor

Post by ochoin »

Etranger wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:55 am
ochoin wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:37 am There is a figure in the Wagon Train set that seems to be doing his imitation of a seal. It does not get my approval.
I think he was meant to be 'gut shot', poor fellow. EDIT - sorry, the one I was thinking of was in the 'Cowboys' set, I had the 2 sets mixed together, both in the box and in my brain... http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=31 http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=27
Yes, that's the seal-imitator. Possibly a sea lion. With a pair of straws, a walrus.

donald
valleyboy
Jezebel

Post by valleyboy »

I'm either very old and so cannot remember these from 45 years ago or I just didn't pay enough attention
I do remember a Russian with a machine gun on wheels though and some stretcher bearers
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Paul wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:13 pm But you're in no way bitter.
No, the constant beatings took care of that.
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
Etranger
Jezebel

Post by Etranger »

Spot on VB - there was a maxim gun and crew in the WWII Russians. There were a few sets with stretcher bearers. WWII British, WWI Germans & in the hard plastic RAF emergency vehicles set. I think I had them all somewhere along the way.
grizzlymc
Grizzly Madam

Post by grizzlymc »

I used to like all the surrendering Germans. And the shittiest box was the original Infantry Combat Group, all of them armed with rifles.

I echo the concern about kit, no bloody mortars and no PIAT in the second lot of WWII brits who eschewed blobinous for exquisite sculpting.
goat major
Grizzly Madam

Post by goat major »

The Russian Maxim came in parts so was guaranteed never to say together. Couple with the infantry being on super slender bases and so guaranteed to fall over. Like with many sets their 1/32 box was much superior
Goaty bloggy thing http://goatmajor.org.uk
Goaty twitty thing http://www.twitter.com/GoatMajor
MarshalNey
Gaynor

Post by MarshalNey »

and then came home from school one day to find my mother had thrown them all away because the next door neighbour had upset her.
I feel your pain.
MarshalNey
Gaynor

Post by MarshalNey »

There was also a High Chapparel set as well.
Norman D. Landings
Grizzly Madam

Post by Norman D. Landings »

Favourite 1/72: French WWI pigeon handler. C’est cute!

Favourite 1/32: WWII Brit Para Sniper. Effin’ NAILS.

Lamest 1/72: anything in the 1st edition WWII Brit infantry box. Pitiful emaciated figures doing aerobics in skintight gear, armed with rifles which are mere wisps of featureless placcy.
(EXCEPT: the Bren gunner walking casually with his gun on his shoulder. Lovely sculpt.)

Lamest 1/32: Fallschirmjager casualty. Nowt wrong with the figure, but...
You only get a few 1/32s in a box - you shouldn’t have to ‘lose’ combat poses in favour of Fragile Fritz.
Apart from anything else, you buy one box of Fallies and one box of Brits... the ready-crocked Fallies are totally outgunned!

Wild card: Katana-wielding dark lord in winged helmet from the short-lived ‘Space Warrior’ set.