Citadel Contrast Paints

For your Wargames Wittering
Buff Orpington
Grizzly Madam

Re: Citadel Contrast Paints

Post by Buff Orpington »

The biggest rip off is convincing people that they have to buy more than one pot. I shall simply offer a small sacrifice before telling the blue pot that I want the horses to be brown.
I know when to go out
I know when to stay in
Get things done
HMS Priapus
PurpleBot

Post by HMS Priapus »

I think these things work and can be used to achieve some really interesting and beautiful effects.

But they're an entirely different paint medium, and they're not going to save me any time. To get the kind of results I'd want from them would require layering, probably some blending, and a lot of patience.

Slapping on a single thick coat yields uneven splotchy coverage, and in some cases the paint pulls back entirely leaving random white spots, especially on larger surfaces, requiring touch ups. And then there's the long drying time. I have not found them a convenient one-and-done process in any way.

I'll use them for my small collection of Space Hulk type stuff, possibly some fantasy stuff where I'm not too concerned about results, but expect that'll be it for now.
Etranger
Jezebel

Post by Etranger »

Buff Orpington wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:34 pm The biggest rip off is convincing people that they have to buy more than one pot. I shall simply offer a small sacrifice before telling the blue pot that I want the horses to be brown.
I know someone who can tell you the exact shade of blue needed for that.

grizzlymc
Grizzly Madam

Post by grizzlymc »

Andy, which part of that one on the right makes the perfect Union Blue?
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

Wss magazine did a challenge of painting 95th rifles both with contrast and conventional. My takeaway from the pics was conventional green and the white straps, with the rest contrast would look good.
Etranger
Jezebel

Post by Etranger »

FreddBloggs wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:56 am Wss magazine did a challenge of painting 95th rifles both with contrast and conventional. My takeaway from the pics was conventional green and the white straps, with the rest contrast would look good.
On Facebook, if anyone's interested. https://www.facebook.com/WSSMagazine/
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

I meant to do that link.
HMS Priapus
PurpleBot

Post by HMS Priapus »

My latest attempt with this stuff...Some added effects and layering on the bones/teeth.

Takes some patient layering of the glazes. And I need to buy some of that medium, tho VJ's thinner seems to be a good stand in in a pinch. I guess I'd just reiterate that this isn't really a time saver, but rather a completely different technique. I don't think it's going to replace how I do most of the historical periods I paint, but will certainly be useful on these large beastie things. Got a whole Reaper Bones KS box that I could see this being very useful on, as I have no interest in layer painting most of that fantasy faff, nice tho the models may be.

Zenbadger
Gaynor

Post by Zenbadger »

Ooh, I like that.
valleyboy
Jezebel

Post by valleyboy »

Yes its very good .......errr :o
But I don't recognise it........ errrr :oops:
that's not anything Napoleonic though ....................err :?
It isn't is it? :oops:

Hmmmm

I thought not :shock: